Lunar Chateau anyone?

Old March 7th 05, 12:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

Default Lunar Chateau anyone?

Hi,

Are there any Lunar Chateau owners here?

I'd appreciate some general opinions of them please. You know, build
quality, common faults etc. Also if any owners can comment on
reliability of the fittings and equipment.

I understand they are not built in this country, is that correct?

Do they suffer damp problems any more or less than the average UK
built 'van?

Cheers

Neil

Old March 7th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi,

Are there any Lunar Chateau owners here?

Not me. We have a Lunar Solar. The Chateau is made in France I think. Sort
of an entry level model. We don't particularly like the (dated) dimple
pattern of the body panels, and the floor seemss high - like many nowadays.
DaveK.

Old March 8th 05, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Tony Penner" wrote in message
There not called LEAKY LUNARS for nothing

Nor 'Soggy Swifts' or 'Boggy Baileys' , or 'Crappy Coachman' or Percolating
Explorer Group-etc, etc.
If I could afford it I'd have an 'Unburstable Burstner'. Not pretty,but
would probably still be in one piece after a trip to Ireland.
DaveK.

Old March 9th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Neil" wrote in message
Hi,

Are there any Lunar Chateau owners here?

I'd appreciate some general opinions of them please. You know, build
quality, common faults etc. Also if any owners can comment on
reliability of the fittings and equipment.

I understand they are not built in this country, is that correct?

Do they suffer damp problems any more or less than the average UK
built 'van?

Cheers

Neil

First, better put my hand up, I sell them, but that's not why I'm here.

The Vans are made in Belgium by the parent group of Lunar. The only Lunar
parts on the van are the Lunar logos. Built in the continental style with
the corner mouldings going over the top, rather than on the side, and as
previously commented on, dimple sides. Only one side panel join at window
hinge bar height.
Longer A frame looks weird to UK eyes but gives stable towing and somewhere
to put the bike rack. The windows are Polyplastic, same as most UK vans,
the fridge, Dometic, the blinds, Seitz, the water heater and space heater,
Truma, the toilet Thetford, so no real spares problems for those. Body
spares are not fully in stock in the UK so can take a hell of a lot of time
to arrive, but the basic design has not changed since the van was introduced
into the UK, which, again is very much the continental way of doing things.
Soft furnishings, if damaged, will be a real mare to get, but even recent UK
built vans have problems in this area as most of the materials come from the
continent, and once a batch is finished its unlikely ever to be available
again.

Reliability issues have arisen from catches and taps but replacements are
available through normal UK channels. They have not been in the UK for long
enough to get a full picture on water ingress issues, although not so long
ago some brands had a problem within the first year. That being said, the
continental build style and sealants do seem to hold up well.

Hope this is unbaised enough to be helpful.

Cheers

Old March 10th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil

On Wed, 09 Mar 2005 23:37:55 GMT, "David @ Home"
wrote:

"Neil" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks all,

I suspected they were not exactly of British origin, and wondered if
their build quality was any better than the British built Lunar. I
personally like the design more than most home grown caravans, and may
just be considering changing to one of these.

Cheers

Neil