Help - Swan neck too high.

Old March 9th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Buglass

Default Help - Swan neck too high.

Hi All,

I'm after some advice and guidance please.

I've just received a new company car and it has a Ford, factory fitted,
towbar with a swan neck tow ball.

Problem is that I tow a trailer tent with Mini wheels, so the ball is 2 or 3
inches too high and the rear jacks are only 2" off the road surface.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get different swan necks with less
height? The swan neck is held on by two bolts to a main bracket under the
rear of the car, so will remove easily from the towbar to be swapped with
another. My Ford dealer haven't got a clue, and a couple of towbar centres
tell me they don't think alternate swan neck sizes are obtainable.

The tow bar make is a Westfalia from Germany.

Any help would be appreciated as we're supposed to be going away this
weekend :-(.

Best wishes

--

/Paul B, York, UK.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm

Old March 9th 05, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Secret Squirrel

Paul Buglass wrote:
[...]

In a word - No.

The height and distance of the ball relative to the towbar mounting
points is part and parcel of the EC Type Approval regulations, and would
render your towbar illegal.

Any supplier knowingly supplying you with such a part (even if it
existed), would also be commiting the offence to "cause or permit to be
used" a non-approved towing bracket.

Is the hitch on your trailer mounted in such a way that it would be
feasible to raise the hitch itself with a spacer block or other
adaptation of the trailer?

Old March 9th 05, 07:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Is the hitch on your trailer mounted in such a way that it would be
feasible to raise the hitch itself with a spacer block or other adaptation
of the trailer?

That's the answer, and would a legal and safe way of getting around the
problem.
As it's only a light trailer maybe replace the hitch attachment bolts with
extra long ones using three inch tubing as distance peices.
Three inch steel box section welded to the A frame, with the hitch bolted on
top would be more substantial.
DaveK.

Old March 10th 05, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 20:44:28 -0000, "davek"
wrote:

| Is the hitch on your trailer mounted in such a way that it would be
| feasible to raise the hitch itself with a spacer block or other adaptation
| of the trailer?

Solid blocks IMO OK

| That's the answer, and would a legal and safe way of getting around the
| problem.
| As it's only a light trailer maybe replace the hitch attachment bolts with
| extra long ones using three inch tubing as distance peices.

IMO not really robust enough, IME even on a small trailer the hitch takes a
lot of hammer.

| Three inch steel box section welded to the A frame, with the hitch bolted on
| top would be more substantial.

If the box in 1/8 inch or thicker wall.

--
Dave F
Old March 10th 05, 06:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

| Is the hitch on your trailer mounted in such a way that it would be
| feasible to raise the hitch itself with a spacer block or other adaptation
| of the trailer?

Solid blocks IMO OK

Old March 10th 05, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Buglass

Thanks Chaps,

Good advice all round, I am going to look at raising the hitch assembly,
but for this weekend, I'll try and load up the back of the car to lower the
ball slightly, and pump up the tyres to max on the trailer. With luck . . .
.. . .

Thanks again for your time and advice.

Very best wishes.

--

/Paul B, York, UK.
http://homepages.tesco.net/paul.buglass/astrohome.htm
York Astronomical Society
www.yorkastro.co.uk

"Paul Buglass" wrote in
message ...

Old March 10th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 11:26:14 GMT, "Paul Buglass"
wrote:

| Thanks Chaps,
|
| Good advice all round, I am going to look at raising the hitch assembly,
| but for this weekend, I'll try and load up the back of the car to lower the
| ball slightly, and pump up the tyres to max on the trailer. With luck . . .

Beware of road humps.

--
Dave F