Western Scotland

Old March 14th 05, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mick

Default Western Scotland

I hope to take the van up to Western Scotland this year. I like cl's, views,
electrics, walking (the dog comes along ), coastal paths and more scenery. I
have never toured Scotland before.

Does anyone have recommendations for " must see " views, places to avoid and
quiet cl's?
Looking to stop maybe two to three weeks.

thanks

Mick

Old March 14th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:24:50 -0000, "Mick"
wrote:

| I hope to take the van up to Western Scotland this year. I like cl's, views,
| electrics, walking (the dog comes along ), coastal paths and more scenery. I
| have never toured Scotland before.
|
| Does anyone have recommendations for " must see " views, places to avoid and
| quiet cl's?
| Looking to stop maybe two to three weeks.

Avoid the Scotch Mist (rain)
Watch the weather forecasts and hightail it to dry part of Scotland.

--
Dave F
Old March 14th 05, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 14th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

wrote:

| I hope to take the van up to Western Scotland this year. I like cl's, views,
| electrics, walking (the dog comes along ), coastal paths and more scenery. I
| have never toured Scotland before.
|
| Does anyone have recommendations for " must see " views, places to avoid and
| quiet cl's?
| Looking to stop maybe two to three weeks.

Caravan sites are a bit thin on the ground above the Central Lowlands.
Join CCC http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ to get the Big Sites
Book which lists almost everywhere you can camp in the UK, except non CCC
members only sites. Check the BSB wording carefully because some sites
do not take vans.

--
Dave F
Old March 14th 05, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 14th 05, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Mick" wrote in message
I hope to take the van up to Western Scotland this year. I like cl's,
views,
electrics, walking (the dog comes along ), coastal paths and more scenery.
have never toured Scotland before.

Does anyone have recommendations for " must see " views, places to avoid
and
quiet cl's?

For scenery you can't beat the far north west. You'll need to be there for
two to three weeks to have half a chance of getting a day when you can see
the view through the fog/rain/low cloud etc etc. You'll quickly get fed up
with the midges though, IMHO they make the place intolerable, we went there
once (never again) and spent most of the time in the 'van.

Rgds

Andy R

Old March 14th 05, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Mick" wrote in message
I hope to take the van up to Western Scotland this year. I like cl's,
views,
electrics, walking (the dog comes along ), coastal paths and more
scenery. I
have never toured Scotland before.

Does anyone have recommendations for " must see " views, places to avoid
and
quiet cl's?

For scenery you can't beat the far north west. You'll need to be there
for two to three weeks to have half a chance of getting a day when you can
see the view through the fog/rain/low cloud etc etc. You'll quickly get
fed up with the midges though, IMHO they make the place intolerable, we
went there once (never again) and spent most of the time in the 'van.

Rgds

Andy R

We're planning to visit Scotland mid July. Is there anything we can use to
combat the midges?

Andrew.

Old March 14th 05, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Andrew" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Mick" wrote in message
[...]

Here's some ideas:
1. Stop using the Gregorian calendar, then with a bit of luck July will fall
in October when all the midges have gone.
2. Get a passport andd an Easyjet ticket to anywhere else.
3. Invite Mary Bloody Fisher to come with you, she frightens midges away.
4. Do what the locals do, get (and stay) so drunk you don't care.

Rgds

Andy R