I have been conned :-(

« finder | Finder »

Old March 14th 05, 10:59 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default I have been conned :-(

As my van tyres had a manufacturing date of 97 I have changed all three,
because they are supposed to have a life of 5/7 years.

When I got them off they were absolutely perfect, little wear of course, no
cracks, no deterioration of any kind.

I am convinced they would have lasted another few years.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrum ble

--
Dave F
Old March 14th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
BrianG

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
As my van tyres had a manufacturing date of 97 I have changed all three,
because they are supposed to have a life of 5/7 years.

When I got them off they were absolutely perfect, little wear of course,
no
cracks, no deterioration of any kind.

I am convinced they would have lasted another few years.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrum ble

--
Dave F

There again they could have let you down at 60mph on a motorway. But you'll
never know now.

Th

Old March 14th 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Frank Smith

Dave Fawthrop wrote:
As my van tyres had a manufacturing date of 97 I have changed all three,
because they are supposed to have a life of 5/7 years.

When I got them off they were absolutely perfect, little wear of course, no
cracks, no deterioration of any kind.

I am convinced they would have lasted another few years.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrum ble

You have my sympathy. I felt the same way about mine last year but
decided to invest in a bottle of 'Ultraseal' instead of renewing them.
I did the 'van and my motorbike. It cost 43 for two bottles well worth
it for piece of mind. If anyone is interested visit www.ultraseal.biz.
From feedback in the BMW Club (motorcycle) magazine it is an excellent
product. It's worth inserting it in new tyres as well. Needless to say
I have no connection with the company.

Frank Smith

Old March 14th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

"Frank Smith" wrote in message
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
As my van tyres had a manufacturing date of 97 I have changed all three,
because they are supposed to have a life of 5/7 years.

When I got them off they were absolutely perfect, little wear of course,
no
cracks, no deterioration of any kind.

I am convinced they would have lasted another few years.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrum ble

You have my sympathy. I felt the same way about mine last year but
decided to invest in a bottle of 'Ultraseal' instead of renewing them. I
did the 'van and my motorbike. It cost 43 for two bottles well worth it
for piece of mind. If anyone is interested visit www.ultraseal.biz. From
feedback in the BMW Club (motorcycle) magazine it is an excellent product.
It's worth inserting it in new tyres as well. Needless to say I have no
connection with the company.

Whilst Ultraseal (and other similar products) are undoubtedly excellent at
plugging punctures - they will do nothing to stop a major 'blow-out' caused
by complete failure of the tyre when the rubber becomes 'aged'. I note that
the product is supposed to make tyres last longer but can't quite see how it
can prevent the cracking and perishing of the rubber on the outside of the
tyre. I also have concerns about nails in tyres being 'hidden' by Ultraseal
type products. Often the first sign of a nail buried in a tyre is a slow
leakage of air resulting in the tyre looking partially deflated. If
Ultraseal prevents the air leakage around the nail then it is likely you
will be unaware of it and continue to drive. This may not be a problem if it
is a small nail projecting a half-inch or so inside the carcass - but could
be a serious problem if it is a long nail that is digging into other
internal areas of the tyre as it flexes under normal useage. Personally I'll
stick to replacing my caravan tyres every six years or rather than fill them
with gunk!

Kev

Old March 14th 05, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

I think it is the Caravan Club that have this Suggestion/rule of the change
your tyres at 5/7 years old.
My present caravan is only a couple of years old but when the tyres get to
this age range if they are showing ageing on the sides I will change them.
But if as on my previous caravan they look OK I will take them to my Tyre
supplier for thier expert advice, and if OK will continue to use them.
I would add that when changing make sure the supplier puts the right sort of
tyre on. I bought one once the supplier obtaned one it was correct make,
size, right number of plys and reenforced, but was the wrong loading weight.
Had I not checked I could have been doing 60mph on a motorway and had a blow
out because the weight on it was heavy than it was made for.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 14th 05, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
duzz

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 11:59:54 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

I am convinced they would have lasted another few years.

grumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegrumblegru mble

But would it be worth the risk.
Rubber is attacked by oxygen in the atmosphere, which makes it go
brittle. It may look O.K. on the outside, but could be separating from
the wire and cords internally which could lead to the tyre
disintegrating. That could cause serious damage to the van or, God
forbid, the loss of the van.
I think I will change tyres and play it safe.

-----
John.

I am paranoid.
I tried to join Paranoids anonymous.
They wouldn't tell me where the meeting was.

« finder | Finder »