Tipping gas bottles upside down

Old March 15th 05, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazzer

Default Tipping gas bottles upside down

Surely this is dangerous? Some old fella reckons you get a few more
weeks of use if you tip the bottles upside down when they apprently
run out. Hogwash or what?
Old March 15th 05, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Gazzer" wrote in message
Surely this is dangerous? Some old fella reckons you get a few more
weeks of use if you tip the bottles upside down when they apprently
run out. Hogwash or what?

When mine are getting low say during cooking I give them a shake and they
getting going for the rest of that time, then I change when convienent.
Gas is expensive particulary Calor with thier fixed high prices, we should
not be wastefull with it.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 15th 05, 07:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

When mine are getting low say during cooking I give them a shake and they
getting going for the rest of that time, then I change when convienent.
Gas is expensive particulary Calor with thier fixed high prices, we should
not be wastefull with it.

Maybe a kettle of hot water poured over the bottle might get a bit more out
of it.
The advice from Calor and the CC is to keep the bottles upright
DaveK.

Old March 15th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

(Gazzer) wrote in :

Surely this is dangerous? Some old fella reckons you get a few more
weeks of use if you tip the bottles upside down when they apprently
run out. Hogwash or what?

The propane and butane we use is called "LPG", which is short for
"liquified petroleum gas". As its name suggests, this is stored in the
bottles as a liquid. As you use the gas, the liquid in the bottle slowly
evaporates so that the space above the liquid is filled with gas. It is
the gas in this space (the top of the bottle) that is drawn off for use.
If the temperature is warm enough, all the liquid can vapourise, and so
it's only on colder days when any "benefit" from inverting the bottle
would be possible.

Now, if you turn the bottle upside-down, the draw-off point is covered by
liquid, and so liquid propane or butane appears at the regulator. If your
regulator doesn't have a "liquid stop" safety device - and the pressure
in the bottle is very low - the liquid might just vapourise in the feed
pipe. However, if the liquid reaches the jets in the appliance, very much
larger than normal flames can result, which would be dangerous.

So, in theory and provided the temperature was cold enough, you could get
some extra use from inverting the bottle (although a few weeks is
probably pushing it). IMO this definitely comes into the "don't try this
at home" category. However, you can get safe extended use in these
circumstances by warming the bottle (e.g. by standing it in warm water).

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK