That old devil called awnings

Old March 17th 05, 08:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Judith Mott

Default That old devil called awnings

We are off in our caravan for 4 nights over easter with a 10 year old child
and a mad, young border collie dog. If it wasn't for the dog, we wouldn't
bother with the awning, but if it's wet and muddy, the dog will be difficult
without the shelter of the awning. Thing is, should we put our full-size
awning up (weather permitting) or go out this weekend and buy a porch style
awning. Are these porch awnings as likely to lead to divorce as the
full-size ones are? Any useful comments appreciated.
Jude

Old March 17th 05, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

Are these porch awnings as likely to lead to divorce as the
full-size ones are?

I have a Sunniflair you can have for 40 if you like. Cost 150 and has been
up only a couple of times. They take almost as long to erect as a full
awning, the frame joints try to bite you and dent the caravan panels (when
it all falls apart). I have pieces of duct tape to stick them together so
the frame holds some sort of rigidity while the cover goes on.
Once up you realise it's not big enough and you wish you had the full
awning.
Mind you, friends have toured for years with a porch awning on one side and
a Fiamma shade on the other. They love it.
DaveK.

Old March 17th 05, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy R

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
. uk...
We are off in our caravan for 4 nights over easter with a 10 year old
child and a mad, young border collie dog. If it wasn't for the dog, we
wouldn't bother with the awning, but if it's wet and muddy, the dog will
be difficult without the shelter of the awning. Thing is, should we put
our full-size awning up (weather permitting) or go out this weekend and
buy a porch style awning. Are these porch awnings as likely to lead to
divorce as the full-size ones are? Any useful comments appreciated.

IMHO traditional awnings are a real pain. I like to just turn up, wind down
the steadies and drink beer, fighting with an awning is no fun at all. My
current vehicle, a camper, has a retractable Fiamma awning on the side, it
winds out in about 30 seconds and takes as long to retract, you can also get
these with zip in side panels which also take only a few seconds to
assemble. If I return to caravanning and need an awning it'll be one of
these.

Alternatively you can take Mary Bloody Fisher with you, she erects awnings
in seconds whilst cooking dinner for ten on a two burner stove totally
protected from Midges by her glowing aura.

Rgds

Andy R

Old March 17th 05, 09:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Tinkapace

I hate them, after 10 years of arguing, back pain and hassle I have given up
with it. Turn up- wind down legs-wind down brain- wind up- legs go home.

--
Tim Pace
Elite Mortgage Solutions LTD

Old March 17th 05, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
The Simpsons

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
. uk...
We are off in our caravan for 4 nights over easter with a 10 year old
child and a mad, young border collie dog. If it wasn't for the dog, we
wouldn't bother with the awning, but if it's wet and muddy, the dog will
be difficult without the shelter of the awning. Thing is, should we put
our full-size awning up (weather permitting) or go out this weekend and
buy a porch style awning. Are these porch awnings as likely to lead to
divorce as the full-size ones are? Any useful comments appreciated.
Jude

Take a Pup Tent for the dog!
http://www.sitstay.com/store/equip/packapup.shtml

Fred S

Old March 17th 05, 09:27 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Judith Mott" wrote in message
. uk...
We are off in our caravan for 4 nights over easter with a 10 year old

child
and a mad, young border collie dog. If it wasn't for the dog, we wouldn't
bother with the awning, Any useful comments appreciated.

Do not take the dog.
Leave with friends, relatives or boarding kennels.

Please reply to News Group.