Suitable water container for motor caravan

Old August 3rd 03, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

Default Suitable water container for motor caravan

I am reburbishing a motor caravan and was proposing to use a new black
waste water container, as used in towing vans, as my fresh water tank.
A salesman in a caravan shop has now told me that they used to have a
label on them that said they should not be used for fresh water. Can
anyone shed any light on this please?

Robert
Old August 3rd 03, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Clarke

Manufacturers fit motorhomes with white for fresh water and black for waste
water. As with the hoses they use, I believe that white tanks may be 'food
quality' plastic but may be wrong. It is certainly not usual for black tanks
to be used for fresh.
Steve

om...

Old August 3rd 03, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jimbo

Bob Posted Snip----

proposing to use a new black
waste water container, as used in towing vans, as my fresh water tank.
A salesman in a caravan shop has now told me that they used to have a
label on them that said they should not be used for fresh water. Can
anyone shed any light on this please?

---- End Snip

Dangerous!
Black plastic leeches chemicals into the water
You must use "food quality" white plastic (inert) for use
with food or drink
As pointed out by Steve above

For the full info about this "google" to a home brewing site where it
is explained fully
(large white plastic drums with lids for sale at 15 can be obtained
free from large food shops - they get their bread dough/curry sauce etc
delivered in them)

Regards Jimbo
--
remove jukebox to reply