alternative to battery?

Old August 3rd 03, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jim Allan

Default alternative to battery?

Has anyone had any experience of using a 12v Jump Start power supply as
the battery on a caravan? It would appear at first glance that this
would be one item which was useful for 2 jobs, but things are never as
good as they look!
--
Jim

Old August 11th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In message , Harry
Bloomfield writes
In article ,
says...
| Has anyone had any experience of using a 12v Jump Start power supply as
| the battery on a caravan? It would appear at first glance that this
| would be one item which was useful for 2 jobs, but things are never as
| good as they look!

There are several different models of these things and several
different amp/hour capacities. Generally the battery is a tiny low
capacity one which would last no time at all in a caravan, and the
units are expensive compared to a purpose made high capacity leisure
battery..... I would give it a miss and get the proper thing.

I bought a cheap (around 20 quid + VAT) one of these from Makro to keep
in the car for emergencies. I took it with us one time when we were on
a site without hook-up and decided to use it to recharge the batteries
on my notebook PC via an inverter. I got a little over one full charge
out of the thing before it gave up the ghost. I'd have been able to
charge it many times over from the leisure battery.

At the price, it's perfect for its job: An emergency jump start pack to
get your car going if you're daft enough to leave the lights or the
radio on. It's also very handy for topping up the 'van tyres when used
in conjunction with a portable compressor, or for other light duty 12v
applications.

IIRC, 110Ah leisure batteries were around 45 quid at Salop Caravans when
I was there this weekend. If that's the typical price these days, then
a proper leisure battery is by far a better investment.
--
David Thornber