Mice in Motorhome

Old March 20th 05, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Personia

Default Mice in Motorhome

I store my Motorhome at a very secure open site - it was once a farm -
because I've nowhere at home to park it.

The van is kept in a corner close to trees, banks & hedges & we all
have our own allocated spaces.

This winter, because it's been so cold, I've had a mouse problem.
They've brought in some sycamore seeds (not a problem)& in their quest
for food & nesting stuff they've damaged a few things (big problem).
Fortunately nothing expensive has been attacked. I've set break back
mouse traps & so far have killed just two.

I've been obliged to remove everything that's chewable & store it at
home. I've not much spare room & it's been very inconvenient.

I can't make the motorhome mouseproof because it's impossible to work
out where they've been getting in. (They can get in a hole the size of
a pencil). I don't want this problem next winter so I've asked the
owner for a move to the more open part of the site.

My theory is that I'm less likely to have mice if I'm in the middle of
a field & that they would choose a caravan closer to a bank or a
hedge.

Am I right or would they keep on trying each van until they find one
that's easy to get into?

Looking forward to some replies.
Old March 20th 05, 06:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick

My theory is that I'm less likely to have mice if I'm in the middle of
a field & that they would choose a caravan closer to a bank or a
hedge.

Hmm. Dunno. It may be the only shelter in the area. Not the food source
so they like the warmth/insulation. An urban area may be better. Borrow a
cat
and leave it in the van for a few days with soem food of course. That should
work.

I had a problem in my house, no damage just that they appeared after
midnight.

I got the female though ! I think that is the key.

Nick

Old March 21st 05, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hairy Arse

"Personia" wrote in message
m...

I can't make the motorhome mouseproof because it's impossible to work
out where they've been getting in. (They can get in a hole the size of
a pencil). I don't want this problem next winter so I've asked the
owner for a move to the more open part of the site.

My theory is that I'm less likely to have mice if I'm in the middle of
a field & that they would choose a caravan closer to a bank or a
hedge.

Am I right or would they keep on trying each van until they find one
that's easy to get into?

dunno how they figure out which van to move into, but there's a way to help
them choose another one than yours,

Put some Bounce tumble dryer sheets around the van, mice hate these, and
will keep clear.

This trick is used all the time by the americans where they seem to have
problems with mice all the time in certian areas.. some have had mice move
in every time they park up at home for more than a few days,

I imagine you have to keep the sheet's fresh, so replace them every few
weeks,

Old March 22nd 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Ah but what about when they go off to die? Have you had probs with
decomposing bodies?

Old March 22nd 05, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Old March 22nd 05, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

I like the Bounce tumble dry sheets idea, I'd be interested to know how
you found out about it. It's inexpensive solution (& a fragrant one) so
I'll give it a try!