Caravan Help

Old March 21st 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

Default Caravan Help

Hello,

Can you help please.
What is the maximum towing weight for a 1974 Mini Clubman estate?
My friend has a 1979 Safari caravan and an awning, will this tow okay by his
Mini.
He doesn't wish to make the mistake of some owners, where the end up on the
roof....!
Also, will he need a stabiliser do you think? He is going to keep the
luggage to a minimum. Anything they need will go into the caravan.
He does not have a lot of money, and can't wait to get his children out on
the holiday they have not had for 5 years.

Thanks

Old March 21st 05, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

"Roy" wrote in message
Bill said the following on 21/03/2005 17:11:
Hello,

Can you help please.
What is the maximum towing weight for a 1974 Mini Clubman estate?
My friend has a 1979 Safari caravan and an awning, will this tow okay by

his
Mini.
He doesn't wish to make the mistake of some owners, where the end up on

the
roof....!
Also, will he need a stabiliser do you think? He is going to keep the
luggage to a minimum. Anything they need will go into the caravan.
He does not have a lot of money, and can't wait to get his children out

on
the holiday they have not had for 5 years.

Thanks

------------------------

Roy,

I can't see you advice, only a copy of my message (??)

Regards,
Bill

Old March 21st 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
duzz

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:11:05 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Hello,

Can you help please.
What is the maximum towing weight for a 1974 Mini Clubman estate?
My friend has a 1979 Safari caravan and an awning, will this tow okay by his
Mini.
He doesn't wish to make the mistake of some owners, where the end up on the
roof....!
Also, will he need a stabiliser do you think? He is going to keep the
luggage to a minimum. Anything they need will go into the caravan.
He does not have a lot of money, and can't wait to get his children out on
the holiday they have not had for 5 years.

Thanks

You can tow any caravan with any vehicle.
My Grandad used to tow a 32' two end bedroom Aztec with his bicycle.
It was a bit hairy going down hill - no brakes on the caravan - but it
was a doddle uphill, Grandad just puffed a bit. Granny and their 14
kids traveled in the caravan, and she wouldn't go anywhere without her
mangle.

Old March 21st 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gazzer

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:52:50 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

He's trolling, the daft date.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:04 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Secret Squirrel

Bill wrote:
Hello,

Can you help please.
What is the maximum towing weight for a 1974 Mini Clubman estate?
My friend has a 1979 Safari caravan and an awning, will this tow okay by his
Mini.
He doesn't wish to make the mistake of some owners, where the end up on the
roof....!
Also, will he need a stabiliser do you think? He is going to keep the
luggage to a minimum. Anything they need will go into the caravan.
He does not have a lot of money, and can't wait to get his children out on
the holiday they have not had for 5 years.

Thanks

Oh dear..

If only it wasn't a clubman estate. You'd have had an extra 101kg with
the saloon, and I'd have suggested fitting an inflatable air bed into an
erde trailer with a canopy lid. For lighting, the canopy roof would be
easy to sut and fit a skylight into.

I fear that the added weight of a stabiliser will stretch the estate
beyond it's limits. However, the effect of an AKS stabiliser can be
achieved without the added weight can be achieved by lining the towball
with well masticated chewing gum, which will give the friction effect
between the hitch and the ball, at only a few grams extra weight.