Best Caravan Make?

Old March 21st 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Del

Default Best Caravan Make?

Not sure if this post was distributed on all news servers the first time so
ill post again in hopes of some replies :-)
----------------------
Hello Folks
I am an expatriate Brit living in Aus and thinking of a UK/Europe
caravanning
holiday.
I have been lurking here for a short while and have been having a good look
around the various caravan sites for info.
Just wondering what people thought is the best caravan make at the moment I
like the look of the Bailey Wyoming and the Bailey Pageant Bordeaux or the
Bessacarr Cameo 535 SL / 625 GL for just two of us.
Also wondering about which caravan club is regarded as the best to join for
sites and info.

Has anyone had any experience with Camping Cheque?
http://www.campingcheque.co.uk

Sorry for opening with so many questions (I have lots more) but this seems
to be a big subject with lots to consider before taking the plunge.

Oh and nice to make your acquaintance's.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

You have really opened a can of worms here.

Those like me who have a Bailey will say Bailey, but others will echo with
thier purchased make.
I'm in the Caravan Club and use thier CL sites only, the other main club the
caravan and camping Club have CLs as well but you have a mixture of caravans
and tents.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Del" wrote in message
Not sure if this post was distributed on all news servers the first time
so
ill post again in hopes of some replies :-)
----------------------
Hello Folks
I am an expatriate Brit living in Aus and thinking of a UK/Europe
caravanning
holiday.

I'm a member of the Caravan Club of GB and think it's pretty good. The other
major outfit is the Camping and Caravanning Club who describe themselves as
"The Friendly Club" (which I suppose is to indicate that mine isn't).
Both have websites so you can have a look.
There are several companies that hire out caravans and motorhomes for
European touring.
The cheapest way would be to buy a second hand car (ten year old Peugeot or
Citroen turbo diesel for about 1000) and caravan for 4000. Use them and
sell them for the same price at the end of your trip.
All uk caravans are good while they are running right. Over the recent years
cars are getting lighter. As more kit is installed as standard in caravans
they are becoming heavier. To counteract this the manufacturers use flimsy
materials. No one make is more sturdy than another. The floors are weak
plywood and polyfoam. I worry about pressing hard with a soapy sponge on the
roof.
English vans inside are like chintzy country cottages- and most of us like
that. Continental built stuff is much stronger-especially German caravans.
However that makes them very heavy and most people use big four wheel drives
to pull them. Interiors are quite basic as our continental cousins tend to
live outside, use site facilities most of the time and use the van only for
sleeping.
Welcome and have fun.
DaveK.

Old March 22nd 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"davek" wrote in message

I'm a member of the Caravan Club of GB and think it's pretty good. The
other major outfit is the Camping and Caravanning Club who describe
themselves as "The Friendly Club" (which I suppose is to indicate that
mine isn't).

Oh I don't think so, it's just a handle - and I think (as a member) that
it's appropriate. Some say that the Caravan Club is snobby, I have no
experience.

I worry about pressing hard with a soapy sponge on the roof.

Why on Earth would you want to do that???

English vans inside are like chintzy country cottages-

No they're not!

and most of us like that. Continental built stuff is much
stronger-especially German caravans. However that makes them very heavy
and most people use big four wheel drives to pull them. Interiors are
quite basic as our continental cousins tend to live outside, use site
facilities most of the time and use the van only for sleeping.

They must use them for more than tht, you can sleep in the back of an estate
car.

Welcome and have fun.

Seconded!

Mary

DaveK.

Old March 22nd 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:14:10 -0000, "davek"
wrote:

Continental built stuff is much stronger-especially German caravans.
However that makes them very heavy and most people use big four wheel drives
to pull them. Interiors are quite basic as our continental cousins tend to
live outside, use site facilities most of the time and use the van only for
sleeping.

My german van is well built, but it is not appreciably heavier than
similar Uk vans so much so that I tow it with a 11 year old Volvo 850,
and I would be very pushed to call the interior basic by any stretch
of the imagination. If you look at the current crop of german vans
they do not match your description. Mind you they do make some much
larger vans than can not be legally towed in the Uk by a vehicle with
a kerb weight of less than 3500kg. it is probably these that you are
thinking of.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old March 22nd 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Doc

"Del" asked;
Hello Folks
I am an expatriate Brit living in Aus and thinking of a UK/Europe
caravanning holiday.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Oh and nice to make your acquaintance's.

-----****------
Hi Del,

If you intend to tour Europe, then buy or rent there, not in the UK; it's
much cheaper. Price of new, better built German 'vans of similar size &
facilities are the same no. of euros, as 's in the UK. You can buy in
Germany, tour around, and flog it back in UK after 1yr and possibly make a
profit!!

Renting caravans and motorhomes is much more common in Europe and
considerably cheaper, and many places have a rent and buy scheme, whereby if
you decide to buy the 'van after hiring it, the rental is knocked off the
price.

Cheers, Doc.