Portable generator 42.99

Old March 22nd 05, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Portable generator 42.99

From tomorrow Makro will have a Kingavon 850watt generator for 42.99 + vat.
From the photo it is not one of those open builders type, nor is it the
enclosed suitcase type, it is sort of in between. Looks smart.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 22nd 05, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:01:10 GMT, "David" wrote:

| From tomorrow Makro will have a Kingavon 850watt generator for 42.99 + vat.
| From the photo it is not one of those open builders type, nor is it the
| enclosed suitcase type, it is sort of in between. Looks smart.

Is the irritation of nearby vanners included or excluded from the price?
Should that increase or decrease the price?

--
Dave F
Old March 22nd 05, 11:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 22nd 05, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hairy Arse

"David" wrote in message
From tomorrow Makro will have a Kingavon 850watt generator for 42.99 +

vat.
From the photo it is not one of those open builders type, nor is it the
enclosed suitcase type, it is sort of in between. Looks smart.

i bought one of those when i was at the driffield motorhome show and
accidentaly took my leisure batteries down to 9.5 volts,

The genny may be cheap, but it is utter crap, think about how much your
paying for the components.. 20 quid for the engine, and 20 for the
alternator, and that's not including the other little bits and sellers mark
up.

The engine was rough, wouldent hold a steady speed with any load, i have a
sterling 4 stage 20 amp battery charger, and the genny wouldent power it up
unless i applied another load at the same time.. not fun having to plug in a
fan heater every time the charger changed stages and the genny thought it
had shut off.

When it had been running for a while with a low load on it, power a high
load and it produces a smoke screen, (the engine is a 2 stroke, ok i wasn't
using smokeless oil, but this thing was taking the ****, fuel mixed at the
50:1 retio recomended in the book)

It sounded like a scooter engine, but that would have been easily sorted by
adding a stinger to the end of the expansion chamber.. someone else in our
club has done that and it really makes the genny quiet.. not quite a honda
EU, but very close.

We took it back and got the cosmo version, 950 watt output, 12 volt charging
output etc, slightly better made, and the instruction manual said a little
more than how to start it (even that was bad.. choke on, pull the starter,
choke off, release the starter and the engine should start.. i'd love to see
someone doing that procedure all day long to try and start it

The cosmo one was actually a little quieter than the kingavon one, but we
still took it back, only when you read in the manual does it tell you the
950 watt output is available for about 10 seconds, and it'll run a 550 watt
lightbulb all day, or a 250 watt motor,
we bought a mains genny to run our microwave as well as the battery charger
occasionaly (and at motorhome shows where no mains is available, and we're
usually parked with the american RV's.. who have 2 litre 4 cylinder engines
running their 10KW gennies)

Of course the genny wouldent run the microwave, it's got a 900 watt input
power requirment, hence why we thought the 950 watt max output of the genny
would do it, but the voltage sagged to 180 when i tried it, no smoke screen
from the cosmo genny mind.

Of course the cosmo genny is 69.99 plus vat, but the kingavon is usually
59.99,

If you want one for occasional use running light loads, then go for the
cosmo one,
just remember these are disposable gennies, sommat goes wrong and toy throw
it away and get another one, can't really do any repairs, the alternator is
part of the crank case casting, so they're not seperateable, alternator
burns out, you can't just replace that and keep the engine like most
gennies.

Us.. we have just bought a 125 watt solar panel instead, bit more expensive
than a genny (tho a hell of a lot cheaper than from any seller in the uk..
member of our club imported 16 from america, selling them at half the price
they go for at the shows), but solar is cheaper in the long run for our kind
of use.. only the microwave needs mains, everything else is 12 volts or gas,
so now there's no having to keep getting petrol when the van runs on diesel,
and it's a pain to convert a 2 stroke to run on lpg

Old March 22nd 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Hairy Arse" wrote in message

Thanks for your comments.

Regarding the microwave, never come across one on a generator but I do know
that one needs twice the rated power of the microwave for its switch on.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 22nd 05, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , Hairy Arse
muttered:
Us.. we have just bought a 125 watt solar panel instead, bit more expensive
than a genny (tho a hell of a lot cheaper than from any seller in the uk..
member of our club imported 16 from america

In the UK it's rated at 10 watts!!! Only joking...
--
Andy

Old March 22nd 05, 11:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"andy" wrote in message
In message , Hairy Arse
muttered:
Us.. we have just bought a 125 watt solar panel instead, bit more
expensive
than a genny (tho a hell of a lot cheaper than from any seller in the uk..
member of our club imported 16 from america

My 650 watt from Aldi- 69.99 works a treat. Have only tested it on static
caravan (might be a bit noisy away on campgrounds) and it runs the fridge,
all the lights, tv-video and one bar(400watt) of a 1200 watt Halogen heater.
Tried the next bar and it faltered then came up to speed again. Switched on
the next element and it sounded quite unwell, so I know its' limit.
Surprisingly the tv worked fine without any flickering or snow.
I wondered about taking it away to use on cl's but the noise would be a bit
annoying to others on site. At twenty five metres from the van you could
hardly hear it though, so I suppose it would be ok on an isolated site.
Can't wait for a power failure on the static site so I can be all lit up
whilst the others are searching for candles.
DaveK.