After Winter Break...Help needed

Old March 22nd 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default After Winter Break...Help needed

I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I am new to caravaning.
Returning to our van after theWinter break, I have found that some of
the rear lights are not working. I have indicators but not side
lights, but only on one side. The van is booked in for a service in
May, but I want to use the van before this...is there anything I can do
? Should I clean the electric socket on my tow bar ? What should I
use to do this WD40? It does seemlike a loose connection but I am at a
loss. Thanks for all you help (inadvance !!)

Old March 22nd 05, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...
I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I am new to caravaning.
Returning to our van after theWinter break, I have found that some of
the rear lights are not working. I have indicators but not side
lights, but only on one side. The van is booked in for a service in
May, but I want to use the van before this...is there anything I can do
? Should I clean the electric socket on my tow bar ? What should I
use to do this WD40? It does seemlike a loose connection but I am at a
loss. Thanks for all you help (inadvance !!)

I would think it could well be the contacts on the bulbs themselves that
have corroded, but first check the bulbs have not blown.

Please reply to News Group.

Old March 22nd 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gary

Peter wrote:
I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I am new to caravaning.
Returning to our van after theWinter break, I have found that some of
the rear lights are not working. I have indicators but not side
lights, but only on one side. The van is booked in for a service in
May, but I want to use the van before this...is there anything I can do
? Should I clean the electric socket on my tow bar ? What should I
use to do this WD40? It does seemlike a loose connection but I am at a
loss. Thanks for all you help (inadvance !!)

Try checking the earth connections as well as the bulb terminals for
corrosion use an emery board to clean them and wd 40 to help prevent
more corrosion

Old March 22nd 05, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Hitch Lock

Peter wrote:

I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I am new to caravaning.
Returning to our van after theWinter break, I have found that some of
the rear lights are not working. I have indicators but not side
lights, but only on one side. The van is booked in for a service in
May, but I want to use the van before this...is there anything I can
do ? Should I clean the electric socket on my tow bar ? What should
I use to do this WD40? It does seemlike a loose connection but I am
at a loss. Thanks for all you help (inadvance !!)

Sounds like bad connections through slight over-winter corrosion. Clean up
the pins of your 7-pin plug and socket, using fine emery cloth. [To clean
the female bits, wrap the emery round a small bolt or a pencil].

Also remove the covers from the lamps (couple of screws) and clean the bulb
contacts - particularly where the body of each bulb fits into its holder.
--
Cheers,
Hitch Lock

Old March 22nd 05, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

David said the following on 22/03/2005 18:52:
"Peter" wrote in message
oups.com...

I was wondering if anyone could help me, as I am new to caravaning.
Returning to our van after theWinter break, I have found that some of
the rear lights are not working. I have indicators but not side
lights, but only on one side. The van is booked in for a service in
May, but I want to use the van before this...is there anything I can do
? Should I clean the electric socket on my tow bar ? What should I
use to do this WD40? It does seemlike a loose connection but I am at a
loss. Thanks for all you help (inadvance !!)

I would think it could well be the contacts on the bulbs themselves that
have corroded, but first check the bulbs have not blown.

Side lights are two separate feeds (left & right)
1st check output from car socket
2nd check pins in plug
3rd trace caravan wiring
Unlikely to be bulbs if both front and rear not lighting.

Roy

Old March 22nd 05, 07:04 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Hitch Lock" wrote in message

[To clean
the female bits, wrap the emery round a small bolt or a pencil].

OUCH!