An economical car

Old March 24th 05, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Old Timer

Default An economical car

Hello. Please note that I have crossposted this to two newsgroups.

I am about to retire, and I am trying to decide what to buy. Now that
money will be limited, I am looking for something with excellent mpg
and the longest possible service intervals. I also want a car that is
going to be reliable and trouble free. There are a number of very
small cars that will fit this description, I think, but if I can have
it, I want more. I would like an estate if possible, and furthermore,
I would like to be able to tow a caravan occasionally. Is there a car
that will meet these criteria? Does anyone have any suggestions,
please?

Lastly, about how much does a small caravan weigh, on the average?
Old March 24th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Conor

In article , Old Timer
says...
Hello. Please note that I have crossposted this to two newsgroups.

I am about to retire, and I am trying to decide what to buy. Now that
money will be limited, I am looking for something with excellent mpg
and the longest possible service intervals. I also want a car that is
going to be reliable and trouble free. There are a number of very
small cars that will fit this description, I think, but if I can have
it, I want more. I would like an estate if possible, and furthermore,
I would like to be able to tow a caravan occasionally. Is there a car
that will meet these criteria? Does anyone have any suggestions,
please?

I'm sorry but what you're looking for quite simply doesn't exist. You
have to spend money to get that.

For example, Ford Mondeo TD estates are cheap and good on fuel but
they're a 6000 mile service interval. Likewise a BMW 3 series tourer
has longer service intervals but eats fuel.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B

Old March 24th 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Adrian

Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

For example, Ford Mondeo TD estates are cheap and good on fuel but
they're a 6000 mile service interval. Likewise a BMW 3 series tourer
has longer service intervals but eats fuel.

and is a lot more expensive to buy.

To the OP - Some hint of budget might not be a bad idea...

Old March 24th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Old Timer

On 24 Mar 2005 21:56:28 GMT, Adrian wrote:

Conor ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying :

For example, Ford Mondeo TD estates are cheap and good on fuel but
they're a 6000 mile service interval. Likewise a BMW 3 series tourer
has longer service intervals but eats fuel.

and is a lot more expensive to buy.

To the OP - Some hint of budget might not be a bad idea...

Thanks for the replies.
Before I started to think of taking up caravanning, I was thinking of
spending between 10000 and 12000 on something like the Toyota Yaris.
Then I wondered whether something a little bit bigger like the Skoda
Fabia would be powerful enough to tow a small two berth caravan. I
don't reall have much idea what size car is needed, but I would like
to stick to that kind of budget, or maybe a bit over.

Old March 24th 05, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Clive George

"Old Timer" wrote in message
Hello. Please note that I have crossposted this to two newsgroups.

I am about to retire, and I am trying to decide what to buy. Now that
money will be limited, I am looking for something with excellent mpg
and the longest possible service intervals. I also want a car that is
going to be reliable and trouble free. There are a number of very
small cars that will fit this description, I think, but if I can have
it, I want more. I would like an estate if possible, and furthermore,
I would like to be able to tow a caravan occasionally. Is there a car
that will meet these criteria? Does anyone have any suggestions,
please?

How important is not spending money to you? Now that you will have time,
will you (for example) be able to do your own servicing?

Remember you won't make up with excellent mpg/long service intervals what
you lose with buying a new car.

cheers,
clive

Old March 24th 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning,uk.rec.cars.misc
Steve Knight

Before I started to think of taking up caravanning, I was thinking of
spending between 10000 and 12000 on something like the Toyota Yaris.
Then I wondered whether something a little bit bigger like the Skoda
Fabia would be powerful enough to tow a small two berth caravan. I
don't really have much idea what size car is needed, but I would like
to stick to that kind of budget, or maybe a bit over.

It's not just about power, a caravan must not exceed 85% of the weight of
the car.

You'll need a much larger car to tow even a small caravan.

--
Remove Xs to reply direct