detachable tow bars

Old March 26th 05, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
malcolm

Default detachable tow bars

I am having fit a removable tow bar . In the Caravan magazine their is
mentioned that you cannot use or fit a stabalizer or anti snake device .

does anyone know why or is it only certain ones IE Al kobo etc.

Old March 26th 05, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

malcolm wrote:
I am having fit a removable tow bar . In the Caravan magazine their is
mentioned that you cannot use or fit a stabalizer or anti snake device .

does anyone know why or is it only certain ones IE Al kobo etc.

Hi Malcolm
I have just bought a new Honda CRV and it came with a Honda swan neck
detachable tow bar but as we have an older van with a stabiliser I found
an adaptor which seems readily available which clamps onto the swan neck
and allows you to use your old stabiliser. I think most caravan dealers
should be able to match you tow bar up with one
Steve

Old March 27th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"Steve" wrote in message

Hi Malcolm
I have just bought a new Honda CRV and it came with a Honda swan neck
detachable tow bar but as we have an older van with a stabiliser I found
an adaptor which seems readily available which clamps onto the swan neck
and allows you to use your old stabiliser. I think most caravan dealers
should be able to match you tow bar up with one
Steve

Last August our Honda dealer fitted a detachable towbar to our 2003 CRV. At
that time we didn't have a van so couldn't test it. In November we found a
van 120 miles away in Grimsby. During the journey home, we noticed the lack
of any warning inside the car to show the caravan turn indicators were
functioning correctly. I have since contacted my Honda dealer and they
assure me, that while being a good idea to have a signal in the car it is
not a legal requirement and impossible to fit in the new Hondas! Have you
had a chance to test yours, and if so do you have the same problem?

Andrew.

Old March 27th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:44:53 GMT, "Andrew" wrote:

| that while being a good idea to have a signal in the car it is
| not a legal requirement and impossible to fit in the new Hondas!

This is the second complaint about towbar electrics urc has had this year.
Clearly we will have to be more careful when buying cars.

On way out is to state that the seller must fit a towbar, with the sort of
electrics you want. Also put it in writing that this is *"of the essence
of the contract"*. Then if they do not provide it you can reject the car
outright.

--
Dave F
Old March 27th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 27th 05, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 11:44:53 GMT, "Andrew" wrote:

I have since contacted my Honda dealer and they
assure me, that while being a good idea to have a signal in the car it is
not a legal requirement and impossible to fit in the new Hondas!

They need to check their constructions and Use regulations, It is a
requirement that there is either a visual or audible warning to
indicate that the trailer indicators are functioning. Any competent
Towbar fitter would be able to fit an audible relay for you.

(remove the spam to reply)