Motor caravanning in New Zealand

Old March 26th 05, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Clive West

Default Motor caravanning in New Zealand

We are going to NZ for a month in November 05 and are considering renting a
MV to get around whilst we are over there.

Never having had or used a MV before (we have a caravan though) is there
anyone out there who has done sort of holiday already and can offer any tips
and good advice on the whole process eg names and experiences received from
rental companies, how much stuff do you need to take with you eg bedding
etc, availability amentities and standards of camping sites, how much wild
camping is permitted, can you get into all the popular visitor sites with a
MV, can you get through the mountain passes on S Island with a MV and
finally what are the must see attractions.

Can you rent on N Island and transfer it to S Island or should we hire a car
on N Island and B&B then transfer to S Island and rent a MV from there?

This is going to be a once a in a lifetime experience so we want to get it
right!

Thanks in anticipation

Old March 26th 05, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Ask the rental company you will use or ask them all. Try NZ Tourism Agency
or similar.

Cheers, Peter.

Old March 29th 05, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Monde

Hi Clive

I can recommend a MV in NZ. We have done it several times. There are several
major rental companies, we used Maui last time, who we found very helpful.
You can pick up in, say, Auckland and drop off in Christchurch. There may be
a small charge for this, but it varies with companies. No problem with
mountain passes in S Island. Bedding is usually provided as part of the
package. I would recommend taking out "full" insurance, ie to cover all
excesses, which does put the cost up, but gives peace of mind, and saves any
arguments when you return the van! Prices of rental goes up in December.

Camping sites are cheap and of good standard. We have done wild camping, but
there may be some restrictions these days. If you do, you need to make sure
your secondary battery is man enough to keep the fridge going overnight. Not
a problem, of course, if you have a hook up on a campsite.

As to "must see" the list is endless, and a month will not be enough.
However in North Island, I would mention 90 mile beach, Rotorua (volcanic
springs), Coromandel peninsular. In S Island, Arthurs Pass, Mount Cook, (try
and take a flight round it if the weather is clear), Milford Sound,
Queenstown, Dunedin.

There are lots of web sites regarding all the above, and also campsites. All
the rental companies have web sites and you can book on line.

If you have any specific enquiries, please email me (note anti spam in
address).

Monde

Old March 31st 05, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Phil

On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 16:31:33 -0000, "Clive West"
wrote:

[...]

I envy you! I did it about 6 years ago.

Having lived in NZ for a year we visited old haunts and enjoyed
ourselves greatly. We used Maui as the hiring firm and I was not happy
with the base vehicle (Toyota) or age of it. However, they may have
improved now due to competition (there was virtually none 6-7 years
ago. Do a Google search for motor-caravan hire New Zealand and you
should find several hirers. From experience in Canada booking with a
small firm on the Internet followed by emails and telephone
conversations, you may be able to get a better deal than though Maui
(which is a biggish organisation which also operates in Australia.)

You will be restricted to tarred roads otherwise your insurance will
be invalidated. This is a very great pity as it may restrict you in
some of the remote and beautiful places with almost zero population.
The extreme end of the Coromandel peninsular is one place you will not
be able to visit in a 'van. Or the Skippers Gorge near Arrowtown in
South Island. BTW, if you are in a wild place at night with no urban
light pollution, look at the crystal clear night sky. Not only will
you see the Southern Cross but all the stars will be twice as bright
as in the UK. That's because there is no northern hemisphere
pollution!

Once you have found your feet, don't be afraid to 'camp wild' (i.e.
not on a site). If you are sensible where you stop, nobody will mind.

Have a good trip.

Phil