awning window repair

Old August 4th 03, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

Default awning window repair

Noticed a two inch cut in one of the pvc windows on our Bradcot awning this weekend.

Its not bad enough to warrant the expense of replacing the entire section so does anyone know if
there are repair kits for such a problem.

My thoughts at present are to try and get a piece of similar material, cut two circles and stick
them either side with the glue I have for emergency repairs to my diving dry suit.

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com

Old August 4th 03, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Neil Barnes

Steve,
I had a similar thing happen to my NR awning and all I did was cut some
stick back plastic (just like Blue Peter) the same size as the panes of the
window and stuck a piece either side. Worked fine and because I went to the
line on the window, you cant see the join.

Regards,
Barno.

Old August 4th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Steve Parry" wrote in message

Noticed a two inch cut in one of the pvc windows on our Bradcot awning

this weekend.

Its not bad enough to warrant the expense of replacing the entire section

so does anyone know if
there are repair kits for such a problem.

My thoughts at present are to try and get a piece of similar material, cut

two circles and stick
them either side with the glue I have for emergency repairs to my diving

dry suit.

Steve

Why not contact Bradcot, I am sure they will be able to repair it at
reasonable cost for you.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 5th 03, 02:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve W...

Why not contact Bradcot, I am sure they will be able to repair it at
reasonable cost for you.

I contacted Bradcott regarding extending my 12 month old awning & was told
they dont handle any repairs or alterations out of warranty.

Old August 5th 03, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
"Steve W..." wrote in message

Why not contact Bradcot, I am sure they will be able to repair it at
reasonable cost for you.

I contacted Bradcott regarding extending my 12 month old awning & was told
they dont handle any repairs or alterations out of warranty.

Steve

Obviously a brand to stay away from in the future. So unlike NR Awnings who
are happy to repair one of their awning almost regardless of age and a
reasonable cost and quickly.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 7th 03, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

Steve Parry wrote:
Noticed a two inch cut in one of the pvc windows on our Bradcot
awning this weekend.

Its not bad enough to warrant the expense of replacing the entire
section so does anyone know if there are repair kits for such a
problem.

My thoughts at present are to try and get a piece of similar
material, cut two circles and stick them either side with the glue I
have for emergency repairs to my diving dry suit.

thanks all

and thanks to Bradcot, I emailed them and asked for a couple of off cuts of similar material to make
two patches and I recieved the same in the post today

Old August 7th 03, 07:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Michael Haselhof

i'd have thought it'd be better to use a patch from an inflatable boat, (you
usualy get a kit with patches and glooooo with it) thats what i used, did a
treat.
"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Steve Parry
says...

Noticed a two inch cut in one of the pvc windows on our Bradcot awning

this weekend.

Its not bad enough to warrant the expense of replacing the entire section

so does anyone know if
there are repair kits for such a problem.

My thoughts at present are to try and get a piece of similar material,

cut two circles and stick
them either side with the glue I have for emergency repairs to my diving

dry suit.

Fist lay the panel flat on concrete in the sun to
get the clear area maleable and let it flatten. You
might try tensioning a tad with a weight or two in four
corners [not on the window]

Buy some clear Fablon [the stuff used for backing school
books and other things] cut to a size you judge suitable
[depending on where the cut is it might be better to use
a larger area to use the natural lines as a camouflage]
And apply making sure the edges of the window knit together.
Tip when peeling back the backing on the fablon, allow to
lay flat sticky side up for a while. The peeling action
causes stretching [the larger the peice the worse the effect]
so you need to allow it to recover back before application.

Apply to one side smoothing out the air bubbles if any, gently to
avoid disturbing the pane. Reverse the panel and repeat procedure on the
other side.

That should do it.

You might try here to see if these people can
replace the clear window for you.

http://www.powerplastics.co.uk/productframe.html

You might have to get a new window from Bradcot
but these people can fit it. Worth a try.

HTH

Old August 7th 03, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

Michael Haselhof wrote:
i'd have thought it'd be better to use a patch from an inflatable
boat, (you usualy get a kit with patches and glooooo with it) thats
what i used, did a treat.
"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , Steve Parry

[...]