Witter towbar and Volvo S60

Old March 27th 05, 08:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Default Witter towbar and Volvo S60

My Volvo S60 is now about 2 years old and since the first few months I have
had a knocking at the back near side. My Volvo dealer tells me that this is
being caused by the exhaust striking the Witter towbar, he says there is not
enough clearance between the exhaust and the towbar. He also says that they
do not have this problem with the approved Volvo towbar.
I wonder if anyone else has had this problem?
Thank you.

Old March 27th 05, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dougal

Stewart wrote:

My Volvo S60 is now about 2 years old and since the first few months I have
had a knocking at the back near side. My Volvo dealer tells me that this is
being caused by the exhaust striking the Witter towbar, he says there is not
enough clearance between the exhaust and the towbar.

He also says that they
do not have this problem with the approved Volvo towbar.

That's a surprise! He would say that, wouldn't he?

Just as unsurprising that there doesn't seem to be any offer to help you
solve the problem. Perhaps you are not giving him enough business to
interest him in keeping you as a satisfied customer.

Old March 27th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

Why not stick a small piece of heatproof padding to the underside of the
towbar so that the exhaust noise is deadened or slightly re-rig the exhaust
hangers.

Cheers, Peter.

Old March 28th 05, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stewart

Peter, the car is still under warranty so they will have to sort it out, I
am just disappointed that there should be a problem in the first place.
This is my 8th Volvo and the first time I have had a problem, maybe expect
too much!

Old March 28th 05, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Stewart said the following on 28/03/2005 09:38:
Peter, the car is still under warranty so they will have to sort it out, I
am just disappointed that there should be a problem in the first place.
This is my 8th Volvo and the first time I have had a problem, maybe expect
too much!

Volvo warranty - Witter towbar - must be a comprehensive warranty!

Roy

Old March 28th 05, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R. Murphy

Who fitted it - your Volvo dealer, a Witter Fitter (!), or you?

If the Volvo dealer - he should sort it out after talking to Witter if
necessary

If the Witter Fitter - Ditto

If yourself - Ditto!

Witter do have their own web site which can easily be found on Yahoo, and
there might be a bit of advice for the particular car/towbar combination,
otherwise email them and they should respond.

In practice it should be a simple matter of easing the exhaust some how away
from the bracket, assuming the exhaust mountings are OK