New Shape Renault Scenic comments please

Old March 27th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default New Shape Renault Scenic comments please

Hi,
We have a new shape Renault Scenic 1.9 DCI (120 bhp) and are thinking of
buying our first caravan, has anyone any comments on towing with this
vehicle?

Manufacturers max towing mass: 1400 kg
Calculated 85% towing mass: 1300 kg

Thanks, Jim.

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old March 28th 05, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Oh no not HIM

Wow hold on a mo, 85% of your kerb weight is only 1180 Kg. I used to have an
earlier model (old shape) 1600 petrol and never had a problem with towing so
yours should be ok

Old March 28th 05, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roy

Oh no not HIM said the following on 28/03/2005 19:31:
Wow hold on a mo, 85% of your kerb weight is only 1180 Kg. I used to have an
earlier model (old shape) 1600 petrol and never had a problem with towing so
yours should be ok

could it be that :-
1300 has been calculated as 85% of KERB weight - 1530kg

Roy

Old March 28th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Roy wrote:
Oh no not HIM said the following on 28/03/2005 19:31:

Wow hold on a mo, 85% of your kerb weight is only 1180 Kg. I used to
have an earlier model (old shape) 1600 petrol and never had a problem
with towing so yours should be ok

could it be that :-
1300 has been calculated as 85% of KERB weight - 1530kg

Roy

I thought it was a misunderstanding, one of the dealers we have been to
ran the car model and spec through a database and came up with the
1300kg figure, the manufacturer, Renault, recommends towing not more
than 1400kg. We have been looking at caravans this weekend and have not
really considered anything weighing over 850 kg tare weight and do not
plan on carrying anything heavy in the van apart from gas and an awning.

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old March 29th 05, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

Do you have a Grand Scenic or standard Scenic. be carefull and read the
handbook carefully, my book gives max towing weight as 1300kgs DRIVER ONLY,
otherwise 950kgs. Which means in effect, if you are towing the max and have
the wife kids in with you you are illegal!!! This was spotted sometime last
year by a caravanner who wrote to the one of the Caravan magazines legal
pages who confirmed it. They then contacted Renault. The upshot of it is
that if contact Renault UK Customer Services Dept. on 08000 723372 and ask
for a James Cox he will send you a Renault letter to clarify the matter,
stating that so long as the gross train weight, ie you, wife, kids, dogs &
all, does not exceed 3050kgs, then you are legal! You then keep the letter
with your handbook, just in case some overkeen "Mr Plod" pulls you into a
"roadside check" and thinks he might have a customer for his book.
My handbook,by the way, was printed in Feb 2003, so if yours is more recent,
then they may have sorted it out by now.
I tow a Swift Sandymere, which is based on a Charisma 230, with a MTPLM
1230kgs.
According to one of the weight matching websites is a 60-something % match.
I find it tows very well, the mpg comes down to around 32mpg, but dont they
all!.But I dont spend a lot of time in 6th gear as you can imagine, unless
on a motorway and can drive up to the speedlimits without any trouble.

Tankie

k...

Old March 30th 05, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Gordon Austin

It looks like there is only you & me with a Scenic 2 in here Billy. The only
thing I would add is that because of the body profile behind the rear
wheels, and the fact that they are so close to the end of the bodywork, you
will find that in wet weather any mud on the road tends to get thrown up
almost to the van roof! Dont waste money on the Scenic mudflaps either as
they dont improve the situation at all, an absolute waste, at 32 a pair. I
bought a pair of cheap flat ones from Halfords, 4-95 and made a couple of
brackets to fit them on, using the only two screws you'll find behind the
wheel, not pretty, but at least they keep the mud, s--t & stones from doing
untold damage to the front of the van!!
Tankie