Looking for first caravan - advice welcomed

Old March 27th 05, 10:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Looking for first caravan - advice welcomed

Hi,
We are thinking of buying our first caravan, the family consists of Myself
(6ft) my wife, a 20 month old child and one due in September.

We have been round a few dealers to look at what is available and think that
either a 4/5 berth conventional layout (double front, single/small double &
bunk rear) or a double dinette would suit us best.

Someone has recommended a forward door if possible, so the kids don't have
to go past the kitchen area when coming in the door and heading for the
front dinette.

I would prefer full length seats at the front so we can sleep along or
across the van or use as two singles.

The recommended max towing weight (85% rule) for our car is 1300 kg

We are looking at vans 10 years old or younger and have a max budget of
about 4500 to 5000 to include caravan, awning, towbar, security devices
etc.

Can anyone recommend either any particular caravans to look out for or good
resources for finding which vans have which layouts or any dealers in
Derbyshire/South Yorkshire that have plenty of stock to go and look at?

All and any advice will be greatly appreciated.

--
Jim
North Derbyshire

Replace "nospam" with "henrun" to reply direct.

Old March 29th 05, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"billy whizz" wrote in message
Hi,
We are thinking of buying our first caravan, the family consists of Myself
(6ft) my wife, a 20 month old child and one due in September.

Someone has recommended a forward door if possible, so the kids don't have
to go past the kitchen area when coming in the door and heading for the
front dinette.

From my experience with modern children I don't think you can prevent them
from going through the most unsuitable places ANYWHERE!

GRRRRRRRRRR (just back from a few days with two grandchildren)

Can anyone recommend either any particular caravans to look out for or
good resources for finding which vans have which layouts or any dealers in
Derbyshire/South Yorkshire that have plenty of stock to go and look at?

There are plenty at Wandahome at Knottingly, just as you come off the A1
north onto the M62. It's where we bought our ancient one years go, we beat
down the price but I think they wanted to get rid of it anyway :-)

Mary

Mary

Old March 29th 05, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lloyd and Sarah

We got our van from a place in Bradford, for the life of me cannot remember
the name of the company but they are near to the centre off Canal Road,
really good family business and tremendous selection of vans. We had spent
weekends after weekend looking at vans and then found our beauty here...
have fun,....we are off on our maiden voyage on Thursday!!

Lloyd

&

Old March 30th 05, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:11:23 GMT, "Lloyd and Sarah"
wrote:

| We got our van from a place in Bradford, for the life of me cannot remember
| the name of the company but they are near to the centre off Canal Road,
| really good family business and tremendous selection of vans. We had spent
| weekends after weekend looking at vans and then found our beauty here...
| have fun,....we are off on our maiden voyage on Thursday!!

Dickinsons. http://www.dickinson-caravans.co.uk/
IME a great caravan place.

--
Dave F
Old March 30th 05, 06:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 30th 05, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Lloyd and Sarah" wrote in message
We got our van from a place in Bradford, for the life of me cannot
remember
the name of the company but they are near to the centre off Canal Road,

Dickinsons. Smashing company. On the rare occasions we buy anything for our
vans we go there.