Damp caravan to replace inner skin.........

Old March 28th 05, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

Default Damp caravan to replace inner skin.........

I have an Avondale Leda 6 berth from 89. The seam at shoulder height has
opened over winter and now my previously dry van is soggy.

How practical is it to take out the shower room & attached cupboards, &
replace all the structural wood and inner skin on that side?

I did the same job on a 21 year old lunar which has just had it's 3rd winter
outside since the job and still bone dry, but there wasn't any furniture on
that side of that van.............

Old March 29th 05, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

I suspect that you're 21 year old Lunar was coachbuilt i.e. a wooden frame
with alloy skin on the outside and ply or board on the inside which is a
repairable structure. We had a 1988 Avondale which is composite construction
and is not repairable in the same way, the ineer and outer skins are bonded
to the core. Our Avondale developed leaks as yours has and I got rid of it
and went back to a coachbuilt van. The repair techniques for the composite
structures either involve replacement of whole panels or surface skinning.
If you can get your seams resealed (difficult to know where the water is
getting in) you might be able to dry the van out and live with it.
Hope this helps more than depresses
Barry

Old March 29th 05, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

By composite do you mean Aluminium skin, 4cm(ish) of polystyrene & then
about 1mm of ply stuck to the inside?

If so, then that is what I took off the Lunar & the Avondale looks similar.
As a technology teacher I'm not too worried about re skinning the inside &
replacing the supporting blocks in the walls, my main worry is stripping out
the furniture. There are screws into the floor & walls (well, nearly!!) but
nothing to the ceiling. Aw well, I'll get this summer out of it then start
after Hallowe'en to do a rebuild. If it survives.... I'll let the group
know............. If not..... I'll just cower in shame and not tell
anyone!!!

Old March 29th 05, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
By composite do you mean Aluminium skin, 4cm(ish) of polystyrene & then
about 1mm of ply stuck to the inside?

If so, then that is what I took off the Lunar & the Avondale looks

similar.
As a technology teacher I'm not too worried about re skinning the inside &
replacing the supporting blocks in the walls, my main worry is stripping

out
the furniture. There are screws into the floor & walls (well, nearly!!)

but
nothing to the ceiling. Aw well, I'll get this summer out of it then

start
after Hallowe'en to do a rebuild. If it survives.... I'll let the group
know............. If not..... I'll just cower in shame and not tell
anyone!!!

I suspect the roof mounting for the furniture will come down the way, from
the iner roof into the furniture. As ou remove the bulkheads be prepared
with a hacksaw blade to cut the fixings. When reassembling the bulkheads
into the van use a cavity fixer and angle brackt to reattach.

Cheers