Another newbie question!

Old August 4th 03, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ste/Van

Default Another newbie question!

Hi all, just came back from my first weekend away and it was great....
but.....

When returning home I unhitched the caravan and the electrics and started to
pull the car forward when I remembered the breakaway cable!! So I stopped
and checked the cable, it was still attached to the car but was really
'stretched' although like I said still attached.

My question is.... have I ' applied' the brakes? and if so how do I release
them?

cheers

Steve

ps had a weekend in longridge, Preston way.... very nice site.

Old August 4th 03, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 11:58:00 +0100, "Ste/Van"
wrote:

My question is.... have I ' applied' the brakes? and if so how do I release
them?

If you have applied the brakes the handbrake lever will be vertical.
To relase them just push the handbrake lever down. I did that when I
arrived at the first site I ever visited. Only I did it properly and
the breakaway cable broke away, it proved that the system works. Enjoy
you vanning.

(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 4th 03, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Roger Mills

wrote:

My question is.... have I ' applied' the brakes? and if so how do I

release
them?

If you have applied the brakes the handbrake lever will be vertical.
To relase them just push the handbrake lever down. I did that when I
arrived at the first site I ever visited. Only I did it properly and
the breakaway cable broke away, it proved that the system works. Enjoy
you vanning.

(remove the spam to reply)

I once broke a breakaway cable by forgetting to undo it - albeit after I had
already applied the handbrake with the lever.

It the OP has given the cable a hard pull, it may have weakened it, even
though it didn't break - such that it might break before actually applying
the brakes in future. As a precaution, I would recommend replacing it.
They're only a few pounds from a caravan accessory shop.

Roger

Old August 4th 03, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ste/Van

Thanks for the info....

cheers

Steve