snaking

Old March 29th 05, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Danny

Default snaking

Hi all. I have a 12' x 7' catering trailer. It's a year old, double
axle braked trailer. I used to tow with an old Landrover 110 without
incident. The landrover needed too much work so I px'ed it with one
of the few tow vehicles I could afford that can tow 1800kg (the
approximate trailer laden weight) - a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l auto.

With the Jeep, the trailer snakes as soon as I get to about 45-50mph
and decellerate or ease off the throttle. It never did this with the
landrover.

The noseweight is within the Jeep requirements (between 90-130kg), and
the newly fitted towbar has a towball height of 21cm - identical to
the landrover. It also has a 19cm position, which I've tried with no
success. I've tried moving some stuff from the trailer to the back of
the jeep (water containers, around 80kg when full) which seemed to
help a little, but these containers are empty at the end of the day
for the return journey.

I've replaced the rear shock absorbers on the Jeep to no effect.
There doesn't seem to be any heavy duty shock/springs available for
the Jeep so I'm stuck with what I have.

Any advice is appreciated since although my daily journey is only 6
miles it includes a small stretch of motorway, during which the
trailer always snakes over 40mph when I ease off the throttle.

I know that stabilisers don't fix trailer/tow vehicle problems, only
that they help in specific conditions (side winds etc), but I'm
considering an AL-KO replacement stabiliser hitch (I have an AL-KO
chassis, so it would be a direct hitch replacement). Are these things
any better/worse than the conventional leaf spring stabiliser?

Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old March 29th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I'm considering an AL-KO replacement stabiliser hitch (I have an AL-KO
chassis, so it would be a direct hitch replacement). Are these things any
better/worse than the conventional leaf spring stabiliser?

Supposed to do the same job, though I wonder how a couple of one inch
friction discs clamping the towball can have much effect on pitch and sway
movements.
Re the snaking problem. Checkout the tow vehicle shock absorbers, tyres,
wheel allignment and balance, towbar attachments, towball fixing and ensure
it's exactly on the centre line.
Also check the trailer wheels and undergear-maybe something shifted since
you changed tow vehicles.
DaveK.

Old March 29th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Capitol

IMO, the snaking is the Jeep rear suspension problem. Apart from fitting
some form of Panhard rods, I doubt that there is a cure. Maybe doing a
Google search for Jeep alternative suspension components might be your
best approach.

Regards
Capitol

Old March 29th 05, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Danny composed the following;:

With the Jeep, the trailer snakes as soon as I get to about 45-50mph
and decellerate or ease off the throttle. It never did this with the
landrover.

I've replaced the rear shock absorbers on the Jeep to no effect.
There doesn't seem to be any heavy duty shock/springs available for
the Jeep so I'm stuck with what I have.

I'd get the Jeep checked for chassis 'tweak', get the wheels and axles
checked for alignment and, daft as it sounds, check the front wheel
alignment for toe-in / out and caster. If it's had a 'knock' at any
time the suspension can be easily moved off centre. (happened to a
firend)

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old March 29th 05, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Comish

In message , Danny
writes
Hi all. I have a 12' x 7' catering trailer. It's a year old, double
axle braked trailer. I used to tow with an old Landrover 110 without
incident. The landrover needed too much work so I px'ed it with one of
the few tow vehicles I could afford that can tow 1800kg (the
approximate trailer laden weight) - a 1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l auto.

With the Jeep, the trailer snakes as soon as I get to about 45-50mph
and decellerate or ease off the throttle. It never did this with the
landrover.

According to Clic reports the kerb weight of your Cherokee is only
1640kg which is way too light for your trailer. I'm no expert but it
seems dangerous to me, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.clicreports.co.uk

I tow a twin axle van of similar weight to your trailer, but a fair bit
longer, with a 4.0litre Grand Cherokee with no problems whatsoever.
However the GK is a good deal heavier than the Cherokee.

Take care.

Cheers
--
Alan

Old March 30th 05, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Danny

Alan Comish wrote:

According to Clic reports the kerb weight of your Cherokee is only
1640kg which is way too light for your trailer. I'm no expert but it
seems dangerous to me, sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

http://www.clicreports.co.uk

I tow a twin axle van of similar weight to your trailer, but a fair bit
longer, with a 4.0litre Grand Cherokee with no problems whatsoever.
However the GK is a good deal heavier than the Cherokee.

It depends on which advice one follows I selected the Cherokee
because it has a towing limit of 3500kg (with auto box). I appreciate
that this is outside the 85% ideal (which I thought was actually more
for power to weight considerations). The Landrover was only 200kg
heavier but towed fine. I guess it's because it was a stiffer
vehicle. Since I mostly go to the same site each day I could
investigate storing some of the trailer load onsite - that would
reduce the trailer weight by at least 200kg. Time to visit the local
weighbridge...