Coachman Mirage 500/5 comments please

Old March 29th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
billy whizz

Default Coachman Mirage 500/5 comments please

Hi,
We are looking at buying a 1994 Coachman Mirage 500/5 the van seems to
be in good condition with no obvious problems.

Does anyone know of any problems associated with this type of van that I
need to look out for?

I invested in a damp meter from B&Q (13) and found nothing apart from a
very slight trace at one corner of the roof light, which I am wondering
if it could be a trace of condensation? The van has been in storage and
apparently used only twice in 18 months.

If not and the roof is undamaged (I'll take a ladder next time) is it
just a case of unscrewing the roof light and re-masticing the join?

Thanks, Jim.

Old March 30th 05, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , billy
whizz writes
Hi,
We are looking at buying a 1994 Coachman Mirage 500/5 the van seems to
be in good condition with no obvious problems.

Does anyone know of any problems associated with this type of van that
I need to look out for?

I invested in a damp meter from B&Q (13) and found nothing apart from
a very slight trace at one corner of the roof light, which I am
wondering if it could be a trace of condensation? The van has been in
storage and apparently used only twice in 18 months.

If not and the roof is undamaged (I'll take a ladder next time) is it
just a case of unscrewing the roof light and re-masticing the join?

Thanks, Jim.

Had the1995 limited edition (Oasis) of this caravan from new and only
just changed it for another new Coachman. My son is now using the old
one.

At this age you should check the awning rail sealant carefully. I had to
re-seat the rail on the door side last year and although there was no
damp reading or water damage, most of the screws on the back section
were rusted and had to be replaced.

Check very carefully the condition of the ABS front and rear panels as
damage here is very expensive to repair. These are mouldings rather than
built up GRP. Check particularly the bottom lip of the gas bottle locker
which was unsupported and easily damaged.

We had a problem with the fit of the fridge and only cured it by
removing the fridge and building up supports underneath it so it was not
reliant on just the front screws.

The caravan likes a high noseweight and can be very twitchy at 50kg we
found it best with 70/90 kg which is usually a little higher than a
saloon car can cope with. We towed the van with a Vauxhll Carlton 2L, a
Frontera SWB 2L and a Frontera LWB 2.2L my son now tows with a Pajero
and his first tow was with a low noseweight (the van empty) and he had
the same twitchy tow until increasing the noseweight substantially.

Other than these things it was a remarkably well built caravan and held
together very well over eight years use. I suppose the fact that I
replaced it with another coachman speaks wonders.

Hope this has helped and if you need any other questions answered just
ask.

George Hendry

Old March 30th 05, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Big Ron

We had a 1992 500/5 which as a good enough van, but we just didn't "get
on" with it. I think one of the problems was its twitchyness while
being towed. I suppose it didn't help that the towcar I had was not
really up to the job but at any speeds in excess of 50mph it used to
sway all over the place. I guess it needed more in the way of
noseweight than the car's hitch limit was able to cope with but it made
for very slow motorway trips.

The boat shaped roof and the rather peculiar profile of the can made
getting an awning to fit was problematic. We bought a brand new Apache
awning (on the advice of the dealer we'd bought the van from)which just
would not sit with a decent enough gradient to shed water. We ended up
getting our money back and bought a Trio awning that seemed to be far
more effective.

When we traded the van in the dealer found damp around the offside
front lounge window.

Old May 3rd 05, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
liz hall

The chap who bought our caravan was a caravan mechanic going all over the
country servicing caravans and he said the Coachman was the best van, better
build in his opinion than any other make. He bought our van which was not a
Coachman, which suited us anyway.
Liz