Leaking windows

Old March 29th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

Default Leaking windows

Took the van out last week and noticed rain running down the inside of the
rear window in two places. On checking the window at home, the window rubber
looks ok with no splits or cracks and is fixed firmly to the frame. So out
with the hose pipe! After a good drenching I checked inside and it was bone
dry. So what causes windows to leak one day and not the next? I don't want
this to start leaking over winter when the van is left undisturbed for weeks
on end.

Andrew.

Old March 30th 05, 06:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:07:32 GMT, "Andrew" wrote:

| Took the van out last week and noticed rain running down the inside of the
| rear window in two places. On checking the window at home, the window rubber
| looks ok with no splits or cracks and is fixed firmly to the frame. So out
| with the hose pipe! After a good drenching I checked inside and it was bone
| dry. So what causes windows to leak one day and not the next? I don't want
| this to start leaking over winter when the van is left undisturbed for weeks
| on end.

Condensation?
People breath out a lot of water vapour which condenses on the windows.

--
Dave F
Old March 30th 05, 06:05 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old March 30th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 22:07:32 GMT, "Andrew" wrote:

| Took the van out last week and noticed rain running down the inside of
the
| rear window in two places. On checking the window at home, the window
rubber
| looks ok with no splits or cracks and is fixed firmly to the frame. So
out
| with the hose pipe! After a good drenching I checked inside and it was
bone
| dry. So what causes windows to leak one day and not the next? I don't
want
| this to start leaking over winter when the van is left undisturbed for
weeks
| on end.

Condensation?
People breath out a lot of water vapour which condenses on the windows.

--
Dave F

I'm sure it wasn't condensation as there was a puddle on the work surface
below and as soon as I dried the window water would start to trickle down
again. I'm just wondering if the window rubbers go hard when cold and cause
a bad seal?

Andrew.

Old March 30th 05, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

Old March 30th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ken Parker

Windows can still leak around the seal and survive the hose pipe test.
Water form the hose pipe tends to be directed at the window in big
droplets.These can fail to detect small holes. But leave the van in fine
drizzle and that is a different story!!!

Sounds as if it's a window seal replacement job
( I had to have mine done !!!!!!)

Ken

Old March 30th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kqr

In article , wrote
Took the van out last week and noticed rain running down the inside of the
rear window in two places.

So it leaked after towing in the rain. Where from
precisely? Top Left?

On checking the window at home, the window rubber
looks ok with no splits or cracks and is fixed firmly to the frame.
So out
with the hose pipe! After a good drenching I checked inside and it was bone
dry. So what causes windows to leak one day and not the next? I don't want
this to start leaking over winter when the van is left undisturbed for weeks
on end.
Andrew.

2 things come to mind:

1] The seal functioned when at rest parked up
and presumably with steadies down. Could be
the van warping caused a seal weakness at one
point and allowed water to force itself in and
then migrate.

2] Seals can become 'sticky' if you opened the
window before hand and then closed, it may not
have sealed correctly. You might have thought it
had.

Old March 30th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andrew

"kqr" wrote in message
t...
In article , wrote
Took the van out last week and noticed rain running down the inside of
the
rear window in two places.

So it leaked after towing in the rain. Where from
precisely? Top Left?

No, towards the middle.

Andrew.