Fuse keeps blowing in towbar electrics circuit

Old March 30th 05, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter Maddern

Default Fuse keeps blowing in towbar electrics circuit

I have a Pageant Vendee van.

I recently had a towbar plus dual electrics fitted to my Rover 75 the other day. Yesterday, we were towing our caravan back from Scotland and it was raining
heavily. We switched the car lights on which of course, switched the side lights on the caravan on (for the first time since we'd had the towbar fitted). After a few miles, all external electrics on the caravan failed - sidelights, indicator lights and brake lights. We called out the AA who were magnificent! The technician established thet the 15 amp fuse fitted into the car's dual electrics circuit by by the towbar fitter firm had blown. The AA man gave me a spare 15 amp and 20 amp fuse. But the new 15 amp fuse that he fitted blew again after a few miles.

I put in the 20 amp fuse but decided to do the rest of the journey in the rain/poor light without car lights and caravan sidelights so at least the caravan would have brake lights and indicators. I did however switch on the lights for the last couple of miles of my journey and the 20 amp fuse held for those few miles. so hopefully, the 20 amps fuse may do the trick when I next take the van out. But to be sure, Does any Pageant Vendee owner with dual electrics towbar know what fuse rating they have in their car towing electrics wiring circuit?

Thanks

Peter, N Wales
Old March 30th 05, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

My Volvo is prewired for towing electrics and I have added the twin relay
unit in line with my twin electric feed to my 1992 Lunar. The only fuse
inline with the caravan is the standard 35A one fitted in the standard
fusebox. This has never given out. You need to consider the largest power
user in the caravan when towing. Generally this is the Fridge which takes
about 8-9A and the battery when it is being charged through the van
circuitry, which can be quite a large surge current of at least 10A. Thus
you have more than 15A and close to 20a without considering the running
lights, brake lights, reverse lights and fog lights (of which my van has all
of these). Incidentally the fitter should have made sure that the fuse was
as close to the battery as possible for safety.

Cheers, Peter.

Old March 31st 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Secret Squirrel

Peter Maddern wrote:
[...]

What has failed is the fuse for the supply to the bypass relay which
will be fitted to avoid damage to the car's wiring system.

These relays have two +12V input terminals, although these are usually
bridged together inside the relay, so common practice is to run one
single power supply. Each input may be fused at 10Amps, or coupled
together.

Assuming the fitters have used suitably rated cable, there will be no
harm in using the 20A fuse, as 15 many be a little low on a caravan
especially with the sidelights, marker lights etc..