HARVESTING EMAILS FROM THIS NEWSGROUP

Old March 31st 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
R. Murphy

Default HARVESTING EMAILS FROM THIS NEWSGROUP

I contribute to 3 newsgroups, including this one.

I use a specific return email address for newsgroups, that I use nowhere
else.

I am receiving emails supposedly from Ebay/Paypal asking me to log in and
give or confirm account details, addressed to that return email address.

Difficult to confirm what does not exist!

But - you have been warned.

Old March 31st 05, 11:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

I use a specific return email address for newsgroups, that I use nowhere
else.
I am receiving emails supposedly from Ebay/Paypal asking me to log in

and
give or confirm account details, addressed to that return email address.

I'm getting the same, but I did create an account a couple of years ago.
Used it only once.
I'm just deleting the emails as they arrive. Could be genuine in my case
maybe, but I'm not going to test it.
DaveK.

Old April 1st 05, 06:01 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"davek" wrote in message
I use a specific return email address for newsgroups, that I use nowhere
else.
I am receiving emails supposedly from Ebay/Paypal asking me to log in

and
give or confirm account details, addressed to that return email address.

I'm getting the same, but I did create an account a couple of years ago.
Used it only once.
I'm just deleting the emails as they arrive. Could be genuine in my case
maybe, but I'm not going to test it.
DaveK.

FAO....Recieved from ebay when reporting spoof emails....................

Hello,

Thank you for contacting eBay's Trust and Safety Department about email
solicitations that are falsely made to appear to have come from eBay or
PayPal. These emails, commonly referred to as "spoof" messages, are sent
in an attempt to collect sensitive personal information from recipients
who reply to the message or click on a link to a Web page requesting
this information.

The email you reported did not originate from, nor is it endorsed by,
eBay or PayPal. We are very concerned about this problem and are working
diligently to address the situation. We are currently investigating the
source of this email to take further action. You may rest assured that
your account standing has not changed and that your listings have not
been affected.

We advise you to be very cautious of email messages that ask you to
submit information such as your credit card number or your password.
eBay and PayPal will never ask you for sensitive personal information
such as passwords, bank account or credit card numbers and Personal
Identification Numbers (PINs), in an email itself. If you ever need to
provide information to eBay or PayPal please open a new Web browser,
type www.ebay.co.uk or www.paypal.com/uk, and click on the "site map"
link located at the top the page to access the page you need.

If you entered personal information such as your password or credit card
numbers into a Website based on a request from a spoofed email, you need
to take immediate action to protect your identity.

For information on spoof emails and what action you need to take if you
have entered in your personal information, we strongly encourage you to
read our spoof tutorial:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/education/spooftutorial/

If you have any doubt about whether an email message is from eBay,
please forward it immediately to and do not respond to
it or click on any of the links in the email message. Please do not
change the subject line or forward the email as an attachment.

Keep in mind the
email address is reserved for handling
reports of attempts to impersonate eBay. In order to investigate these
reports in a timely manner, we can only accept forwarded messages at
this address.

Once again, thank you for alerting us to the spoof email you received.
Your vigilance helps us ensure that eBay remains a safe and vibrant
online marketplace.

Please note that this email has been sent to you as part of an automated
process. Please do not reply to this email as you will not receive a
response.

As always, our goal is to help you with your questions as quickly and
accurately as possible. Should you require further assistance or have
any further queries, please use our Help system by clicking on the
'Help' button at the top of any eBay page.

We value your business and thank you for using eBay.

Regards,

eBay Trust and Safety

Important: eBay will not ask you for sensitive personal information
(such as your password, credit card and bank account numbers, National
Insurance numbers, etc.) in an email. Learn more account protection tips
at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confide...-protection.ht
ml

Protect yourself from Spoof (fake) Web sites. The free eBay Toolbar with
Account Guard warns you when you are on a potential fraudulent Web site.
To learn more about the eBay Toolbar with Account Guard, go to
www.ebay.co.uk and click on "Services" this is found at the top of the
Home page. Now click on the "eBay Toolbar" link, this is found in the
"Tools" section at bottom of the left hand column.

Old April 1st 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 00:27:43 +0100, "R. Murphy"
wrote:

| I contribute to 3 newsgroups, including this one.
|
| I use a specific return email address for newsgroups, that I use nowhere
| else.
|
| I am receiving emails supposedly from Ebay/Paypal asking me to log in and
| give or confirm account details, addressed to that return email address.
|
| Difficult to confirm what does not exist!
|
| But - you have been warned.

Worse than that they are phishing http://www.wordspy.com/words/phishing.asp

Ignore them or lose money.

--
Dave F
Old April 1st 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 1st 05, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

forward them ALL to

Old April 1st 05, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

forward them ALL to

Old April 1st 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
George Hendry

In message , Martin Edwards
writes
forward them ALL to

Where they will promptly ignore them. Makes them look good though to set
up a dumping ground.

--
George Hendry