What do I do about this one?

Old April 1st 05, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

Default What do I do about this one?

Just got back from a post-Easter break (dreadful, I was ill all the time,
and so stayed on site in the caravan the whole week!).

When we went to collect our caravan from its secure storage at the start of
the week, I noted some damage on it (it had always previously been labelled
nil damage).

The site owner was most concerned, said he couldn't think how he could have
caused it, took me into the compound to see where our caravan had been
moved, etc.

Damage is scratches to two windows on the offside (not too bad, they might
well polish out - you have to look for them to find them) and a dent towards
the rear of the offside - which is immediately obvious upon looking at the
caravan.

The caravan was signed into storage as "nil damage", but the owner claims
that he has previously been unable to claim on his insurance if he is unable
to hazard a guess as to how the damage had been caused.

I can, however, imagine similar difficulty in claiming off my own insurance.
I am absolutely certain that I did not cause the damage to the caravan. I
have just towed the 'van to and from the same site we last visited, and can
see nowhere en route or on site where I could have caused damage like that.

However, we are left with a situation where neither party can understand how
the damage was caused, and where neither party admits liability.

What is my next move? All comments gratefully received.

Old April 1st 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 18:20:33 GMT, "Leyland_Leopard"
wrote:

What is my next move? All comments gratefully received.

CC insurance would cover, all you would need to say would be damaged
whilst in storage. Mind you your van is in secure storage, and
presumably the owners of the storage do not have a condition of
acceptance that any damage is not their fault. In this case since the
caravan was signed as having no damage and was damaged when you
collected it, he has no way out he is liable his contract with his
insurers is his problem not yours your contract is with him.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old April 2nd 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

The storage site owners are totally responsible, without a doubt. The
checking of your caravan entering into storage will be stipulated by his
insurance company and not the site owner. My guess he is hoping that this is
the end of it.

You have two chooses , the first is to put it to him that your van was nil
damage when entering storage and you want the damage corrected it his
expense under his terms and conditions of contract. The second is if you
have legal protection on your caravan insurance, if you want to make a claim
on your insurance contact the legal team they will resolve your problem with
the site owners, without effecting your claims discount.

Although if you get on with the site owners, this is when you will fall out,
and they is nothing stopping him asking you to remove your van.

Hope this helps

Keith

Old April 2nd 05, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Leyland_Leopard

"Keith" wrote in message

Although if you get on with the site owners, this is when you will fall
out, and they is nothing stopping him asking you to remove your van.

Many thanks for your reply - this is the crux of the matter. We do get on
with the owners of the site, and have never found them to be any less than
helpful and accommodating. It is also very convenient for our home, very
secure (CaSSOA approved), etc.

I don't desperately want to have to find a new storage site, which would
almost certainly be less convenient, if I can avoid it. However, as soon as
I go down the route of lawyers, pointing out his liability, etc, I don't see
how I could avoid having to do so!