Towing weights

Old April 2nd 05, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve

Default Towing weights

Hi
I have a 2000 Vauxhall Astra 2.0 DTI hatchback and I'm trying to find the
safe towing weight using the 85% rule. On the VIN plate it quotes four
weights and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on which one is
which.
It says

1810 Kg
3060 Kg
1 - 1015 Kg
2 - 0820 Kg

Any one help?

TIA
Steve

Old April 3rd 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Geoff Lane

"Steve" swr1953(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk wrote in
:

I have a 2000 Vauxhall Astra 2.0 DTI hatchback and I'm trying to find
the safe towing weight using the 85% rule. On the VIN plate it quotes
four weights and was wondering if anyone can shed any light on which
one is which.
It says

1810 Kg
3060 Kg
1 - 1015 Kg
2 - 0820 Kg

Generally, VIN plates don't give kerbweights. VIN plate usually gives the
maximum allowable mass (MAM) of the car, the maximum train weight (MTW),
and the two maximum axle weights. In your case this seems to be:
MAM = 1810 kg
MTW = 3060 kg
Max front axle weight = 1015 kg
Max rear axle weight = 820 kg
So, I suspect your VIN plate doesn't give the kerbweight on which to base
the 85% rule. For that, you need to consult your owner's handbook or
other document provided with the car. If you haven't got that (or the
handbook doesn't give that info) perhaps a call to Vauxhall would help.

FWIW, I did try a quick search but could only get figures for the 2001 5-
door 2.0 TDi, which has a kerbweight of 1290 kg, and a 1096 kg 85% match
according to http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vauxhall.htm#astra501 -
but I don't know whether the 2000 model is the same.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane
Cornwall, UK

Old April 5th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Troggy

Astra
4-door In production Kerb Weight KG 85% Weight KG Max Ball Weight KG
Manufacturers Max Towing Weight KG
1.6 2001 1108 941 75 1100
1.6 Auto 2001 1128 958 75 1100
1.7 TDi 2001 1225 1041 75 1150
1.8 16 2001 1190 1011 75 1300
1.8 Auto 2001 1210 1028 75 1250
2.0 TDi 2001 1290 1096 75 1250

Hi...i cannot find anything specifically for 2000 production, but i very
much doubt if there is much in it compared to this 2001 model shown here on
the bottom line...it seems your kerbweight would be in the 1290kg area.

cheers...hope this helps

( ps...the info is in the bottom box below this ie: 5 door) pasted top
section in and cant get rid of it now...hey ho...info found at
http://www.cuddles.abelgratis.net/vauxhall.htm

Astra
5-door In production Kerb Weight KG 85% Weight KG Max Ball Weight KG
Manufacturers Max Towing Weight KG
1.4 2001 1108 941 75 850
1.6 2001 1088 924 75 1100
1.6 Auto 2001 1128 958 75 1100
1.7 TDi 2001 1205 1024 75 1150
1.8 2001 1180 1003 75 1300

Old April 5th 05, 09:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Troggy

Oooops, looks its come out a bit garbled...but its still 1290 kerbweight for
a 2000 Astra Tdi hatch.

cheers

Troggy