Buying a new caravan - advice on manufacturers please

Old April 3rd 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
paula crowder

Default Buying a new caravan - advice on manufacturers please

My wife and I are looking to buy a new caravan but are complete novices. We
have three children aged 2,3 and 4. I would appreciate any advice on the
best manufacturers (or ones to avoid) and the most suitable layout for our
family size. We are flexible financially but are looking for a good middle
of the road caravan with decent build quality.
Also when purchasing a new caravan what sort of discount / added extras is
the norm.
We live in the north west does anybody know any reputable dealers in this
area.

Many thanks
Gary

Old April 3rd 05, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"paula crowder" wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to buy a new caravan but are complete novices.

We
have three children aged 2,3 and 4. I would appreciate any advice on the
best manufacturers (or ones to avoid) and the most suitable layout for our
family size. We are flexible financially but are looking for a good middle
of the road caravan with decent build quality.
Also when purchasing a new caravan what sort of discount / added extras is
the norm.
We live in the north west does anybody know any reputable dealers in this
area.

We bought Bailey, many think these are the best of the UK makes.
But it seems all UK made caravans after a few years will suffer from damp.
Which will take a few years to show and then the wood frames are rotted
away.
Many buy German makes to avoid this and get a better made caravan, but the
features are more basic than the UK ones.
Anyway back to UK at this time of year you will find that many models are
now sold out for this year. It is best to order in September/October to get
full choice.
Try dealers like Barons who often have a leading maker make special editions
for them, you will find it is based on one of that makers models but will
have about 1000 of extras in and at no extra cost.
As you are new and have no p/x you should get discounts.
Not many dealers will be free from critisum, most are like car dealers these
days.
All of you get in the caravan and have it set up as for a meal. Also have it
set up with the beds to see what it will be like when the children are in
bed and you are still up. Finally with all beds set up. These test will
give you an idea of how much space you have.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 4th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"paula crowder" wrote in message
My wife and I are looking to buy a new caravan but are complete novices.

We
have three children aged 2,3 and 4. I would appreciate any advice on the
best manufacturers (or ones to avoid) and the most suitable layout for our
family size. We are flexible financially but are looking for a good middle
of the road caravan with decent build quality.
Also when purchasing a new caravan what sort of discount / added extras is
the norm.
We live in the north west does anybody know any reputable dealers in this
area.

Many thanks
Gary

Remember whatever you buy you have to tow it. Weight is important.

Old April 4th 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 20:39:24 GMT, "paula crowder"
wrote:

| My wife and I are looking to buy a new caravan but are complete novices. We
| have three children aged 2,3 and 4. I would appreciate any advice on the
| best manufacturers (or ones to avoid) and the most suitable layout for our
| family size. We are flexible financially but are looking for a good middle
| of the road caravan with decent build quality.
| Also when purchasing a new caravan what sort of discount / added extras is
| the norm.
| We live in the north west does anybody know any reputable dealers in this
| area.

First of all. beg borrow or steal a caravan for a week to see if all the
family like caravanning. If your wife hates it all that money will be
wasted.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 4th 05, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 4th 05, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

First of all. beg borrow or steal a caravan for a week to see if all the
family like caravanning. If your wife hates it all that money will be
wasted.

Same if you don't like towing-some cannot hack it.
Barons has been mentioned, also have a look at Harringtons near Delamere,
Spinney and Leisure Sales in the Holmes Chapel area.
I'd buy second hand to start or maybe hire for a couple of weeks.
There's a lot of kit you need which doesn't come with new, but might be
thrown in with a used van if the sellers are packing up. Gas bottles,
battery, mains cable, fresh water and waste containers, levelling blocks,
wheel chocks, alarm and security devices, awning, picnic chairs, barbecue,
crockery, cutlery. My pal just bought a decent van (off eBay) for 6200 and
I reckon there's about 1500 worth of gear with it.
Confirm that you like the life before committing loads of cash. We (retired)
get away for seven weeks in summer and maybe a couple of weeks in September.
That's probably more use than most would get so it's a lot of money standing
on your driveway if it's just being used a couple of weeks.
We love the life and I would probably use it more but 'er indoors likes the
old static as well.
DaveK.

Old April 5th 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Wallace Weatherill

We bought an Avondale Dart in October, and i have to say that i was not
impressed with the Build quallity or the aftersales services.

Remember to buy it somewhere convient to you becuase as soon as you part
with the cash, only the dealer will deal with the warranty work!

I would go with some of the earlier advice, get something cheap and get used
to the idea, before spending lots of dosh like me! and the argue about
things that should have been ok!

Good luck.

Wallace