Morco Converter Charger Type MP5

Old April 4th 05, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff D

Default Morco Converter Charger Type MP5

Just bought out first 'Van and discovered a couple of probs - main one is
the Morco unit. This seems to power the lights, fridge, heater etc via a
mains supply (temp cable fitted from garage). Fitted a battery and still
couldn't get anything to work and decided to tap the little plastic charging
"gauge" and I got a flicker from the lights and a clicking sound from the
heater. Decided to press on a little harder and got the lights to stay on a
bit longer - conclude there's a loose connection. Anyone have a manual for
this unit that I can purchase or some advice how to fix it?

Rgds

Old April 4th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

I would check the caravan's fuses for corrosion and security of connection
of the wiring. You could also have a dodgy ELCB in the mains unit. The mains
unit should be seperate from the DC unit. You may need the services of a
good electrician.

Cheers, Peter.

.. .

Old April 5th 05, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Jeff D

Hi Peter,

Thanks for that - just read my original post again and realise it's a little
ambigous. I should have said the lights and fridge and heater are on the 12v
circuit fed by the Morco unit, which is fed from the mains. There is also a
couple of separate mains circuits which are no problem and no prob with rcd.
The problem is definitely a loose connection somewhere in the converter
charger unit - I'm reluctant to strip it down without some sort of book of
words but....... if needs must. The only thing I can find on Morco products
Hull is a heating unit manufacturer, maybe the original Morco products has
gone out of business - might have to spend some more money:-(

Rgds, Jeff

"Peter K L Milnes" wrote in message
I would check the caravan's fuses for corrosion and security of connection
of the wiring. You could also have a dodgy ELCB in the mains unit. The

mains
unit should be seperate from the DC unit. You may need the services of a
good electrician.

Cheers, Peter.

.. .

Old April 5th 05, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

The fridge should not be on a 12V circuit except for the electronic lighting
for the flame. The fridge takes around 8 Amps from the car's 12Volts when
towing so would rapidly flatten the battery if it did not disconnect when
site is reached or engine is switched off.

Most 12Volt power packs have an input fuse and an output fuse, both
reachable from the outside of the unit. My power pack sits just ahead of the
right hand bed/settee and is a little tight on reachability, but both fuses
are easily reachable. The output connections are also reachable and are in
the form of a strip connector wired to the various services. I will have a
look at my van's handbook to see if there are any similarities with your van
with regards to the power unit. If that will be helpful please let me know,
either by directly e-mailing me or through the newsgroup if it will be
helpful to others.

Cheers, Peter.

"Jeff D" wrote in message
[...]

.. .