Italy, Austria, Germany

Old April 5th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

Default Italy, Austria, Germany

SWMBO wishes to visit the above this summer during school holidays. We'll be
avoiding beaches and the like. Is there a network of "municipal" sites,
similar to France, where one does not have to book in advance?

I hate being stuck with a fixed route and time-scale.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

Old April 5th 05, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Budgie" wrote in message
SWMBO wishes to visit the above this summer during school holidays. We'll

be
avoiding beaches and the like. Is there a network of "municipal" sites,
similar to France, where one does not have to book in advance?

I hate being stuck with a fixed route and time-scale.

--

Budgie

I can't say there are not municipal style campsites in the countries you
mention but I have not come across them. It could be that they give this
type of campsite a more commercial feel. Mind you they are all lovely
countries and well worth a visit. With regard not booking in advance it will
depend on where you want to stay. If you are going to say Florence then
there will be a fairly high turnover of campers so provided you arrive early
enough (by 3.00pm) you should be OK. Its the holiday destinations that would
require the booking.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 5th 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barsar

I only have experience of Italy. When doing the grand tour 2 years ago
we were surprised to find sites around Florence and Pisa fully booked
at the begining of June. There were lots of Dutch caravanners taking
advantage of cheap camping cheques. I would advise booking sites close
to the big cities eg Venice, Rome. Having said that there are some
lovely sites and truly beautiful countryside.
Barry.

Old April 5th 05, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"Budgie" wrote in message
SWMBO wishes to visit the above this summer during school holidays. We'll
be
avoiding beaches and the like. Is there a network of "municipal" sites,
similar to France, where one does not have to book in advance?

I hate being stuck with a fixed route and time-scale.

--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere.

As I use a motorhome, rather than a caravan, I also don't like fixed
itineraries.

Having toured Austria and Germany for a good few years, we have never booked
sites, and rarely found any issue getting onto our first target, even in
summer holidays.

Italy we found slightly different, with our first foray up the Aosta valley
having very restricted availability. Having said that, we then moved on to
Verona, Venice and back via the Dolomites with absolutely no problem as
August progressed.

Last year we did Germany and Austria, and got on all our desired sites with
no problems, indeed, most were pretty quiet, even in August!

I have a number of favourites that have small touring areas and a number of
'statics' which tend to be very quiet. It appears that the owners of the
'statics' use them at weekends throughout the year, but are on holiday
elsewhere during the summer. All the appearances of a busy site, but no-one
in residence!

I would recommend carrying a sites book, targeting areas with more than one
site, and taking your chance.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old April 5th 05, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Nick

"Budgie" wrote in message
SWMBO wishes to visit the above this summer during school holidays. We'll
be
avoiding beaches and the like. Is there a network of "municipal" sites,
similar to France, where one does not have to book in advance?

Apart from Cortina in the Dolomites you should have no probs there.

You can park your camper for a few euros at Lake Misurina. Above
cortina d'ampezzo and just below the rd up to the Tre Cime Lavaredo.

I would def. go there, amazing drives and amazing views.

Go to lake Garda then up via Bolzano to the Poggio and Sella pass.

Nick

Old April 6th 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

" "Budgie" wrote in message
SWMBO wishes to visit the above this summer during school holidays.

We'll
be
avoiding beaches and the like. Is there a network of "municipal" sites,
similar to France, where one does not have to book in advance?

Thanks to everybody for info / suggestions.