nose weight problem

Old April 5th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Alan Varnom

Default nose weight problem

I have a 1993 Coachman 440 VIP, has anyone else found it so difficult to get
the nose weight down to 75kg. When i load the van as i would like with gas
bottle in the gas locker, food in the fridge, clothes in the wardrobe ect.
the nose weight is close to 100kg.
I can only seem to get close to 75kg by removing the gas bottles and even
the battery. Is this just bad design by Coachman or am i missing something.
What do other Coachman owners do?
Thanks, Alan.

Old April 5th 05, 10:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

All caravanners should distribute the weight along the floor of the caravan
in such a way that the tail is not too light and the nose is just right. A
simple hitch balance can be bought at the caravan store in the dealers.
Alternatively a simple balance can be made using a pair of scales and a
suitable piece of wood or large hammer. Most caravans are made such that the
carriage of gas bottles in the front locker causes them to be very much
overweight at the nose for towing. As I use an awning (full size with
bedroom), camping chairs, television, spare wheel, a wardrobe half full of
clothes, plus all the bottles for water and waste, I have a lot to play with
to get the weight and balance right, but after the first couple of times it
gets a lot easier.

Cheers, Peter.

Old April 6th 05, 07:13 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

I believe nose weight makes the caravan more stable and it is the car
specification that says what it should be.
My Ford was 50kg and I think that is typical of most Fords. My present car
is 75kg. and I think might be a typical figure today.
What is the problem if high?

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 6th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 07:13:19 GMT, "David"
wrote:

I believe nose weight makes the caravan more stable and it is the car
specification that says what it should be.
My Ford was 50kg and I think that is typical of most Fords. My present car
is 75kg. and I think might be a typical figure today.
What is the problem if high?

Two things, firstly if you exceed it then Mr Plod will be within his
rights to stop you and issue you with a ticket, secondly if your
noseweight id too high for your car then there is a possibility that
you may overload the rear suspension and also that you may cause
damage to the points on your car where the towbar is fixed.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old April 6th 05, 11:58 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"bill lord" wrote in message

Two things, firstly if you exceed it then Mr Plod will be within his
rights to stop you and issue you with a ticket, secondly if your
noseweight id too high for your car then there is a possibility that
you may overload the rear suspension and also that you may cause
damage to the points on your car where the towbar is fixed.

Well poor old PC Plod, how would he know the weight and check it? Seems
unprobable that any of have any worries from him.
Overloading the car, well what we are talking about is 25kg. Equivalent to a
large bag of potatoes from the supermarket, or suitcase for a 'plane trip,
hope my car does not drop apart when 5 of us in going to the airport.
Fixings of towing brackets, well what about folks who have bike carriers and
2 or 3 bikes on, not seen one fall apart yet.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 6th 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 11:58:32 GMT, "David"
wrote:

Well poor old PC Plod, how would he know the weight and check it? Seems
unprobable that any of have any worries from him.

One of the things they look for in caravans they are thinking of
stopping is whether the tail of the tow car is sitting well down.

Overloading the car, well what we are talking about is 25kg. Equivalent to a
large bag of potatoes from the supermarket, or suitcase for a 'plane trip,
hope my car does not drop apart when 5 of us in going to the airport.

That is a 25kg static load but once the vehicle is on the move the
force from the caravan becomes a dynamicly changing value, which
cannot be said for the 25kg bag of potatoes in the boot. Then there is
the additional moment that is caused by the distance of the towbal
from the pivot point ( the rear axle )

Fixings of towing brackets, well what about folks who have bike carriers and
2 or 3 bikes on, not seen one fall apart yet.

I have seen a section of towbar mounting come adrift caused entirely
by overloading of the noseweight. It's not a nice thing. The person to
whom it happened complained of a continual creaking sound coming from
the area and was horrified when he saw the damage that had been done.
Those that carry 2 or three bikes on the bag mounted on the towball
are asking for trouble unless they lower the nosewight of the caravan
to compensate for the extra load they place upon the towbar.

--

(remove the spam to reply)