Garmisch-P to Innsbruck

Old April 6th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
News

Default Garmisch-P to Innsbruck

For this year's GT (to Pompeii or further south), we've decided to avoid
Switzerland - either Calais/Cologne/Rhine valley/Memmingham/Innsbruck
(Brenner Pass) and back via the Mont Blanc tunnel and the Macon area or the
other way around (depends on the weather forecast when we hit Calais). Is
the Garmisch P/Innsbruck road OK for Avensis+caravan or would the motorway
(Memmingham/Munich/Rosenheim be better?

PS Just booked car & caravan on SeaFrance for 90GBP return, June out, July
return, 23:45 pm sailings (with CC)

Old April 6th 05, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"News" wrote in message
For this year's GT (to Pompeii or further south), we've decided to avoid
Switzerland - either Calais/Cologne/Rhine valley/Memmingham/Innsbruck
(Brenner Pass) and back via the Mont Blanc tunnel and the Macon area or

the
other way around (depends on the weather forecast when we hit Calais). Is
the Garmisch P/Innsbruck road OK for Avensis+caravan or would the motorway
(Memmingham/Munich/Rosenheim be better?

If its the road that comes down through Seefeld to Innsbruck I not sure that
caravans are allowed, it is a very steep road with some vicious cuves that
slow you down even solo. Going either via Munich is an easy route but you
will be going out of your way. Alternatively use the Fern Pass, entering
Austria at Reutte. We did the Fern Pass a few years ago on the way to Italy,
it was slow but fine.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 7th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
News

"David Klyne" wrote in message

"News" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks David.
Just discovered all passes/tunnels are in the CC's France book :Q -
Garmisch P to Zirl, caravans not recommended south bound and banned north
bound so it'll be the Fern pass.
The Rudesheim site looks good; do you have a recommendation close to
Cologne?

Old April 7th 05, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

I would also recomend the Fern Pass route its very easy now there is a
tunnel at the top and if you head for the Reisa pass via Immst (ok site
there ) it is posssible to get to Italy without paying to use the Austrian
motorways (use of which without paying is not to be recomended).
I have travelled in the reverse direction and although it is a bit steep it
should be ok if you have reasonable power
Dave

Old April 7th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

Thanks David.
Just discovered all passes/tunnels are in the CC's France book :Q -
Garmisch P to Zirl, caravans not recommended south bound and banned north
bound so it'll be the Fern pass.
The Rudesheim site looks good; do you have a recommendation close to
Cologne?

No not yet, we tend to be heading into Belgium by the time we are that far
north or heading south down towards Koblenz. We are going back to Austria
later in the year and on the way we are thinking of a site near Massstricht
for a couple of days. Depending on the time of year Camping Cheques are a
worthwhile consideration and there are lots of campsites in Germany.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 8th 05, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
News

Thanks for this one Dave, there seem to be plenty of sites from Pfronten to
Merrano via Pfunds and, having decided to skip Switezerland to avoid the
motorway tolls, skipping the Austrian ones is a plus. Also, Passo Resia has
the look of the Engadine