mobile internet

Old August 4th 03, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

Default mobile internet

--
"nigell" wrote in message
Does anyone access the internet from their caravan? if so how?

Nigell

I access my e-mails via my laptop in my caravan and ocasionally access the
internet. I use a Siemens C35i and a Sony laptop connected via Virgin
Mobile. It will depend what sort of phone plan you have. If you use it
enough then a monthly fee plus so many free minutes might be worthwhile. The
advantage of Virgin is that there are no up front charges and if you don't
use your phone a lot they are ideal as you only pay for what you use.

With regard using a phone/laptop in France there is no problem provided that
the network you use allows data transmission which most of them do. What I
would suggest is that you sign up for an e-mail/free access account with
ClaraNet as they have a local access number in France which allows off peak
connections at about .29p a minute. This compares with Virgin at .55p Orange
at .70p and some others that charge over a 1 a minute.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 4th 03, 11:10 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Ralph Williams

David wrote:

I access my e-mails via my laptop in my caravan and ocasionally access the
internet. I use a Siemens C35i and a Sony laptop connected via Virgin
Mobile.

Hi David

What sort of connection speed do you get? I use the same phone and Virgin
with a Dell but get a very slow speed (9600?)
Siemens told me this was the fastest the phone would do.

Ralph

Old August 5th 03, 06:14 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve B

"Ralph Williams" wrote in message
David wrote:

I access my e-mails via my laptop in my caravan and ocasionally access

the
internet. I use a Siemens C35i and a Sony laptop connected via Virgin
Mobile.

Hi David

What sort of connection speed do you get? I use the same phone and Virgin
with a Dell but get a very slow speed (9600?)
Siemens told me this was the fastest the phone would do.

Ralph

Ralph

If this helps - I use a Nokia 8310 on Orange with my laptop when we go away.
Nokia claim to offer connection speeds of upto 28,800 via the IR modem, but
I rarely get faster than 9600 anyway. Orange say that this is due to the
technical limitations of the service (cop out or what).

GPRS offers better connection speeds but it depends what you want to pay
for....time connected or volume downloaded.

HTH

Steve

Old August 5th 03, 06:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
klyne

--
David wrote:

I access my e-mails via my laptop in my caravan and ocasionally access

the
internet. I use a Siemens C35i and a Sony laptop connected via Virgin
Mobile.

Hi David

What sort of connection speed do you get? I use the same phone and Virgin
with a Dell but get a very slow speed (9600?)
Siemens told me this was the fastest the phone would do.

Ralph

The speed is the same, slow! I think you can get a faster service on Orange
but of course you have to pay for it. In time when GPRS is more widely
available which should speed things up but its likely to be fairly
expensive. I have mailed Virgin a couple of times and they have been
non-committal and just say keep watching for announcements on their home
page. The backbone network they use already has GPRS so I am not quite sure
what the delay is unless its an argument about pricing.

David - Milton Keynes
www.klyne.btinternet.co.uk
site reports

Old August 5th 03, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Steve Parry

David wrote:

[...]

9600 is the fastest a standard cell connection can manage, the way to go is GPRS.

--
Steve Parry

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

http://wrexhamseals.tripod.com