car radio in a caravan

Old April 7th 05, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
duzz

Default car radio in a caravan

I would like to fit a car radio in the caravan, that would give me CD
and MP3. But I have been told that it would lose it's settings every
time the 12v supply was switched off, is this true? would it be a
problem?

Has anyone done this and can give advise?
Old April 7th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
hugh

In message , duzz
writes
I would like to fit a car radio in the caravan, that would give me CD
and MP3. But I have been told that it would lose it's settings every
time the 12v supply was switched off, is this true? would it be a
problem?

Has anyone done this and can give advise?

Yes I have one fitted. Radios have 2 supplies, one to retain the setting
memory the other your normal on/off to drive the receiver and output
amplifier.
Mine is wired with the first input wired directly tot he battery, via a
fuse of course, and the second wired tot he switched 12v caravan supply.
The current drainage to maintain the settings is very small. In the
winter I remove the battery so the settings are lost, but easily reset
in the spring.
--
hugh

Old April 7th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 19:42:32 GMT, duzz wrote:

| I would like to fit a car radio in the caravan, that would give me CD
| and MP3. But I have been told that it would lose it's settings every
| time the 12v supply was switched off, is this true? would it be a
| problem?

Yes! Mine does. Its a right pain.

--
Dave F
Flight is right
Old April 7th 05, 08:09 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 7th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"duzz" wrote in message
I would like to fit a car radio in the caravan, that would give me CD
and MP3. But I have been told that it would lose it's settings every
time the 12v supply was switched off, is this true? would it be a
problem?

Has anyone done this and can give advise?

I've had 3 caravans with car radio/cassettes in and none of them lost the
tuned in settings when no 12v supply available, of course when caravan
located in another area one as to retune anyway.
On present caravan never got around to fitting one, we just take a portable
FM/DAB/CD. The DAB sound quaulity being no better,
worse on some stations, than FM was a waste of a purchase.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 7th 05, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 21:09:17 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , duzz
writes
I would like to fit a car radio in the caravan, that would give me CD
and MP3. But I have been told that it would lose it's settings every
time the 12v supply was switched off, is this true? would it be a
problem?

Has anyone done this and can give advise?

Yes I have one fitted. Radios have 2 supplies, one to retain the setting
memory the other your normal on/off to drive the receiver and output
amplifier.

It's a long time since I bought a car radio, but there used to be some
models that were able to be removed from the dash and stored in the
boot of the car or taken with you, these do not lose their settings.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old April 7th 05, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

To avoid losing the stations you should feed the keep-alive supply direct
from the battery, as it is when installed in a car. You could also feed it
with a seperate dry battery of 12Volts (2 x 6Volt in series) kept close to
where the radio is fitted. With the former you may have to retune each
season, but with the latter you should not have to retune, until the dry
battery runs out, but if monitored you can replace it before it's
effectiveness has been exhausted.

Cheers, Peter.