Becoming disillusioned!

Old April 8th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Uno Hoo!

Default Becoming disillusioned!

Have been caravanning for 8 years now but am becoming pretty ticked off with
the UK weather. Our last four trips away have been pretty awful with
dreadful weather. What fun is there in sitting inside a cramped caravan
watching the grey skies and rain streaming down the windows? Just returned
(early) from a week at Commons Wood CC site at Welwyn. Woke up this morning
to the usual awful weather and decided to call it a day. Un-pitched in the
pouring rain and now have the porch awning strung out in the garage drying
out. Despite the misconception, caravanning is not cheap and when every trip
away is ruined by our appalling weather you begin to wonder whether it's
worth it at all!!!

Kev

Old April 8th 05, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Willdigg

Why dont you head south and find some better weather, we only use our van
abroad and on route to the docks now and although its not certain the odds
are very much better
Dave

Old April 8th 05, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Have been caravanning for 8 years now but am becoming pretty ticked off
with the UK weather. Our last four trips away have been pretty awful with
dreadful weather. What fun is there in sitting inside a cramped caravan
watching the grey skies and rain streaming down the windows? Just returned
(early) from a week at Commons Wood CC site at Welwyn. Woke up this
morning to the usual awful weather and decided to call it a day.
Un-pitched in the pouring rain and now have the porch awning strung out in
the garage drying out. Despite the misconception, caravanning is not cheap
and when every trip away is ruined by our appalling weather you begin to
wonder whether it's worth it at all!!!

I'm sorry you've had that experience. I can honestly say that in the last
decade or more of going to several events a year with our BIG mediaeval tent
and at other times with our caravan as well we've had very few occasions
when we've had to dry the canvas/awning.

Most of this is in England and Wales, some in Scotland, once in Northern
Ireland (memorable for the gale) and the English ones almost always in the
north. We don't do abroad.

Mary

Old April 8th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Klyne

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Have been caravanning for 8 years now but am becoming pretty ticked off

with
the UK weather. Our last four trips away have been pretty awful with
dreadful weather. What fun is there in sitting inside a cramped caravan
watching the grey skies and rain streaming down the windows? Just returned
(early) from a week at Commons Wood CC site at Welwyn. Woke up this

morning
to the usual awful weather and decided to call it a day. Un-pitched in the
pouring rain and now have the porch awning strung out in the garage drying
out. Despite the misconception, caravanning is not cheap and when every

trip
away is ruined by our appalling weather you begin to wonder whether it's
worth it at all!!!

Kev

I appreciate that the weather can be depressing but it often depends whether
you are working or retired. If you work any break away from the routine of
normal life is refreshing. If you are retired its often a choice between a
cosy home and a cold campsite, easy to see which one wins. Give it a month
and you will feel diferently about it. I certainly subscribe to the view
that Contintental touring adds a bit of spice to caravanning. Not only is
the weather better (but not always!) but you have difference of cultures
which adds interest.

David - Milton Keynes
www.caravantravels.co.uk

Old April 8th 05, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"David Klyne" wrote in message
I appreciate that the weather can be depressing but it often depends
whether
you are working or retired. If you work any break away from the routine of
normal life is refreshing. If you are retired its often a choice between a
cosy home and a cold campsite, easy to see which one wins. Give it a month
and you will feel diferently about it. I certainly subscribe to the view
that Contintental touring adds a bit of spice to caravanning. Not only is
the weather better (but not always!) but you have difference of cultures
which adds interest.

We came back to Caravaning two years ago this August having sold our last
caravan in 1998 (To fund our Wedding).

We have dropped on with the weather so far including a trip to Across France
last year where if I had any complaint I would say it was too hot (my first
trip abroad - I always thought the sound of crickets was daubed onto films
before this trip!)

We have come back from the Lake District last Monday. Despite poor weather
reports we had a great time. Rain in the evenings on the odd occasion and I
also have the Awning out to dry but for the first time.

I think part of the art of Caravanning is having contingencies for wet
weather. A drive in the rain can provide a break. Trip into the shops or
around museums ,,, even a pub )

We have two small kids 4 and 6 and have to keep them suitably entertained.

If you work out something to do each day assuming it will p*** down then
your not going to do too badly. The chances of it actually being bad weather
for the whole trip is remote albeit not impossible. Last Easter I sun burnt
my bonce at Swanage :0)

I found that our stay aways have been very cheap given the alternatives.
Bsides if I stop at home I'll only end up in B&Q or some such similar place
shelling out a fortune and making more work for myself.

As an aside, not having a shed, garage or one of the cars to go and tinker
with I actually rediscover my kids and wife during these breaks.

Lee D

Old April 8th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

"Uno Hoo!" wrote in message
Have been caravanning for 8 years now but am becoming pretty ticked off

with
the UK weather. Our last four trips away have been pretty awful with
dreadful weather. What fun is there in sitting inside a cramped caravan
watching the grey skies and rain streaming down the windows? Just returned
(early) from a week at Commons Wood CC site at Welwyn. Woke up this

morning
to the usual awful weather and decided to call it a day. Un-pitched in the
pouring rain and now have the porch awning strung out in the garage drying
out. Despite the misconception, caravanning is not cheap and when every

trip
away is ruined by our appalling weather you begin to wonder whether it's
worth it at all!!!

Kev

Kev,

I came to this conclusion years ago and long before I retired. England is
and always will be my country and my home is here. I shall never move my
house because I love where I live. I have every admiration for Mary and
those of her ilk who enjoy wearing Wellington boots and using tractors to
move their caravans from muddy fields but it is not for me. I had enough of
that when the kids were with us and it was all we could afford. One year in
Wales it rained incessantly and our tents were like islands on a lake.
Dozens of the great black slugs were sliding up the insides of our
flysheets. I found it interesting but dispiriting. Mary knows, I am a
wimp. I live on the south coast. You can see the Isle of Wight from here,
but I like camping where it is warm and dry. Consequently for the past few
years and especially since I retired it has meant that every caravan trip
starts at Portsmouth Ferry Port. All we book is the ferry. After that it
is up to us and the weather. If the meteo is fine then we can stay in
Normandy or Brittany but if not then we can drive south. It is only about
two hundred miles to The Loire and that is where ‘foreign really starts’.
The Autoroutes are marvellous and last year on October 6th I drove 620 miles
towards home in one day. From one campsite at Carcassonne in the south of
France to another in Normandy. That is not a silly boast but a statement
of fact. It was easy and I drive a ten year old Cavalier. Every few miles
along French Autoroutes there are ‘Aires’ where you can stop for a rest
without any extra charge. You can even stop the night for free, as many of
us, and lorry drivers do. All it needs is the money for the ferry, the tolls
and the petrol. I know many young people cannot do it but at our age we
can. Municipal Camp sites in France are a fraction of the cost of a CC site
in England, so if you go abroad for six or seven weeks it soon becomes
financially worthwhile.
You do not even need to use the toll roads if you are prepared to move south
at a slower pace as there are plenty of alternative roads.
I could go on and on about camping in France but since we retired we have
been over two or three time a year for at least 31 days each trip and have
never brought home a wet awning. France camping is lovely.
To sum up I would say that if you want to go away for more than a few days,
where you can check the forecast, then think Channel Ferry, get the CC
Annual Travel Insurance, and go for it. All you need to pack are shorts
and T-shirts. Though my dear lady always puts in a sweatshirt or two and a
coat, just in case.

Regards and hope to meet you over La Manche (as they call it).

Dave.