Low Ratio and tow vehicles

Old April 8th 05, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter

Default Low Ratio and tow vehicles

We are thinking of getting back into caravaning after a few years break. We
are looking at a van between 1400 and 1750kgs, I realise that thats quite a
difference in weight but we are in the early stages of the decisions. We are
looking at tow cars and there seem to be 2 main categories.

I am looking at a range of vehicles including Hyundai Tucsan, Hyundai Santa
Fe, Kia Sportage (same as Tucsan) , Kia Sorento, and Nisaan X-trail. We have
only looked at them so far so no test drives yet. On paper I like the
x-trail but I am concerned that it doesnt seem to have a low range gear
selector.

Down to the main question 'do you thin a low range box is a good idea for
towing purposes or is it one of those things that never gets used?????

Any comments on the above vehicles would be apreciated, fuel comsumption is
important to us.

Thanks

Old April 8th 05, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

Any comments on the above vehicles would be apreciated, fuel comsumption is
important to us.

Then the X-Trail is for you. Had mine 2 years and it has been everywhere and
done everything my Rangey an two discos have.

Plus it did it at 40+ mpg solo and 30+ towing 1500kg

Old April 9th 05, 12:22 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
howard.m

I tow with a Rover 75. 50+ solo 42+towing MPH - why have a 4x4? I tow all
year around (Sterling Moonstone) and have never got stuck, if the ground is
soft, I have found that the owner would prefer to put the caravan on and off
the pitch him/her-self rather than have the city boys with their big JEEPS!!
(who don't know how to cope with soft ground) spoil there parks!! So look to
other Vehicles other than 4x4.

Old April 9th 05, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
etomd

"howard.m" wrote in message
I tow with a Rover 75. 50+ solo 42+towing MPH - why have a 4x4? I tow all
year around (Sterling Moonstone) and have never got stuck, if the ground

is
soft, I have found that the owner would prefer to put the caravan on and

off
the pitch him/her-self rather than have the city boys with their big

JEEPS!!
(who don't know how to cope with soft ground) spoil there parks!! So look

other Vehicles other than 4x4.

Excuse me my 4X4 does not spoil their (there ?) parks. Use mine on soft
water saturated grass and in four wheel drive and hardly a blade of grass
was is out of place. However my previous car an Omega (not 4X4) ripped the
ground to pieces when it was only damp.

Old April 9th 05, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Budgie

"Peter" wrote in message

Down to the main question 'do you thin a low range box is a good idea for
towing purposes or is it one of those things that never gets used?????

I tow with a Mitsubishi Pinin 2.0 Auto which has "proper" 4WD with
selectable two and four-wheel drive, high and low ratios. Never used
low-ratio with the van on the back, but you're only supposed to use it in
places where the wheels can slip quite freely to prevent winding up the
transmission (in other words, not on tarmac). Normal 4WD has pulled us out
of quite a few awkward places, and it's very useful in snow. 2WD saves on
petrol for most of the year.

I don't know whether any of the others have a different system.
--
Budgie
NB Reply to newsgroup. Email address will get you nowhere

Old April 9th 05, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Barry

I have towed for 45 years and had six Discoverys over the last twelve years
but never used the low ratio box. I think 4 wheel drive is a distinct asset
on wet grass and have just moved to a Volvo AWD XC70 which is much more car
like and economical. I also feel less of a prat when driving it without the
caravan!
Barry