Alko Towball, paint removal.

Old April 11th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Default Alko Towball, paint removal.

Just fitted a new Alko special towball to the car. Instruction says remove
piant with fine emery paper and clean with white spirit.
Well been at work with fine emery paper, it is hard work and I'm not makeing
much impression od the piant. Anyone done this task ? How did you get on?

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 11th 05, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
smiler

"David" wrote in message
Just fitted a new Alko special towball to the car. Instruction says
remove
piant with fine emery paper and clean with white spirit.
Well been at work with fine emery paper, it is hard work and I'm not
makeing
much impression od the piant. Anyone done this task ? How did you get
on?

Please reply to News Group.

Patience my son

I used paper a little coarser than fine. I call fine about 600, I used at a
guess 120 or perhaps a little finer.

Use wet wet and dry and rinse frequently.

--------------------------

You haven't heard from me for quite a while, I've been reading the group but
have had nothing worthwhile to add so have kept silent.

Greetings to All.
Cheers
Smiler

(remove hat for email replies)

Old April 11th 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"smiler" wrote in message

I used paper a little coarser than fine. I call fine about 600, I used at

guess 120 or perhaps a little finer.

Thanks for that, I'm a long way out !!!
This packet is marked Fine and is 1500.
Maybe plain paper would have been better, LOL.

The packet as a chart.
Coarse 120-240
Medium 400 -600
Fine 800-1500

Did you really mean 120?

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 11th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"smiler" wrote in message

"David" wrote in message
Just fitted a new Alko special towball to the car. Instruction says
remove piant with fine emery paper

Use wet wet and dry and rinse frequently.
Use really coarse stuff, won't come to any harm.
--------------------------

You haven't heard from me for quite a while, I've been reading the group
but have had nothing worthwhile to add so have kept silent.

Doesn't stop most of us.
:-)
DaveK.

Old April 11th 05, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Turner

Hi,
I fitted an Alko towball as my caravan has an Alko stabiliser and the
existing towball used for the trailer tent did not have enough clearance.
I knew you had to ensure the towball was grease free but no one
mentioned removing the paint - I assumed it would not affect the friction
pads and not act as a lubricant.

I have used the caravan a few times and some of the paint has rubbed
off. Do I need to remove the rest of the paint or is there no point now?

Regards,

John

Old April 11th 05, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"John Turner" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

..... but no one
mentioned removing the paint -...

Instructions say remove paint with fine emery paper and clean with white
spirit.
(I've just fitted a special one with cut back neck and extended clearence.
The previous one had the cut back neck and a seperate spacer, as it was a
bit grubby I've changed it.)
But as my previous post difficult to get paint off.
I suggest you take rest off, better late than never I suppose.

Please reply to News Group.