How long can I expect my battery to last without an electric hookup?

Old August 5th 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eddy Webb

Default How long can I expect my battery to last without an electric hookup?

I want to go away for 3 days this weekend but I can't find anywhere
that has an electric hook up. Can anyone tell me whether I can expect
my normal battery to last this long? Any tips?

Many thanks

Eddy Webb
Old August 5th 03, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Keith

"Eddy Webb" wrote in message
om...
I want to go away for 3 days this weekend but I can't find anywhere
that has an electric hook up. Can anyone tell me whether I can expect
my normal battery to last this long? Any tips?

Many thanks

Eddy Webb

Your battery will have an amp hr. rating eg 100.
All of your electrical connections will have an amp hour rating. If for
example your telly was rated at 5 amp hour it would last for 20 hrs constant
useage.
You need to gather up all your consuming components and keep a check on
their useage.
My 100 amp hour battery usually lasted 7 days providing my useage was
selective.

Keith

Old August 5th 03, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
pieter

Look at the rating in Ah (Amps x hours) of your battery. This is a
theoretical maximum, to be realistic take about 75% of this.

Now start thinking of what appliances you will use for how long, and check
their Amp rating. For each appliance (waterpump, lights, etc) multiply its A
rating with the time you estimate to use it each day, and add them all
together.

This will tell you how many Ah you use each day. Divide the capacity of your
battery (or the 75% of it to be safe) by this number, and you will have the
number of days you can expect to use the battery.

Pieter

om...

Old August 5th 03, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul - xxx

Eddy Webb tried to scribble ...

I want to go away for 3 days this weekend but I can't find anywhere
that has an electric hook up. Can anyone tell me whether I can expect
my normal battery to last this long? Any tips?

Many thanks

Eddy Webb

If all you run is the caravan lights then it should easily last .. for
anything more then you need to check the Ah (Amp Hour) rating of the battery
and the amperage of the appliances you use ..

--
.............................Paul - xxx
http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

Old August 5th 03, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Getta Nuvan

You can always get an 12v extension cable from any caravan accessory shop
and run your lights etc for a period from your socket by your towbar, we
always take this cable for emergencies, provided you use your car for a bit
during the day and have your fridge on gas it is a good back up.

Getta Nuvan
Eddy Webb tried to scribble ...

Old August 5th 03, 10:47 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
kevin yates

Last summer plus this year when we go away, we shall be using CL's with no
hook up. how we done it was to spend 4 days on CL with elect the next CL
with out, we only used the water pump and lights on the battery.
Mind you the first time on a CL with on electric after we had set up we
went to make a cup of tea then realised we had to get a kettle for the
cooker.

Rgds Kev

om...

Old August 6th 03, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
james clegg

I want to go away for 3 days this weekend but I can't find anywhere
that has an electric hook up. Can anyone tell me whether I can expect
my normal battery to last this long? Any tips?

I bought a 100 amp battery and went for a 3 weeks holiday at a holiday

meet(no hook up).I tried to last as long as I could (2 weeks) and a totally
fed up wife .No showers not much tv and no taps and only the smallest light
on.We came home

Old August 6th 03, 01:34 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 12:52:17 +0100, "james clegg"

I want to go away for 3 days this weekend but I can't find anywhere
that has an electric hook up. Can anyone tell me whether I can expect
my normal battery to last this long? Any tips?

I bought a 100 amp battery and went for a 3 weeks holiday at a holiday
meet(no hook up).I tried to last as long as I could (2 weeks) and a totally
fed up wife .No showers not much tv and no taps and only the smallest light
on.We came home

I carry two batteries with me and a lead with which to charge the
spare one in the boot of the car. There is no problem lasting as long
as you want to be out with a system like this, plus many CL's and
other sites also provide battery charging facilities. I went to
Scotland in May intending to use just battery for the three weeks we
were away but spent the middle week on a different site from the one
we had planned and this site included electrics in the site fee so we
used it. But in the three weeks we were away the spare battery never
got used, we lasted the first week on the battery charged it the
second and lasted the third week with no problems. We use light as
required and sufficient to read with and also sufficient for there to
be a pleasant glow, the water pump is used liberally indeed in may I
pumped each lot of water twice, once into the internal tank and then
to use it from the taps, The TV went on once each week for the only
program we wanted to watch , we never use the TV much in the van with
or without electrics. Battery caravanning is no different from using
the mains providing you know you have the capacity to do it and the
facilities to charge a battery with.
(remove the spam to reply)
Old August 6th 03, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Raymond Hopkins

This simple advice is used by hundreds of regular caravanners, i do nto
know why so many worry about the battery lasting,but first fit the
largest battery available.
Ray