towing problems bailey senator

Old April 15th 05, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Coombs

Default towing problems bailey senator

we have a vectra 2.0 which would tow our bailey discovery without
any problems, however we recently changed it for a bailey senator oaklahoma,
which is a bigger heavier caravan, vectra still seemed to have the power
to pull it but the caravan seemed to pull the car about, which was a little
scary.
is the car not big enough? or was the caravan not loaded well?.

is there a website that lists cars for caravans?,
we see a lot of 4x4s towing the bigger ones which has made us think!
any advice much appreciated

Hayley and Simon

Old April 15th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
bill lord

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 18:55:28 GMT, "Simon Coombs"
wrote:

we have a vectra 2.0 which would tow our bailey discovery without
any problems, however we recently changed it for a bailey senator oaklahoma,
which is a bigger heavier caravan, vectra still seemed to have the power
to pull it but the caravan seemed to pull the car about, which was a little
scary.
is the car not big enough? or was the caravan not loaded well?.

is there a website that lists cars for caravans?,
we see a lot of 4x4s towing the bigger ones which has made us think!
any advice much appreciated

Hayley and Simon

The senator has a max laden weight of 1491kg and a MIRO od 1222kg the
Discovery 400 has a max laden weight of 1241kg and a MIRO of 959kg. So
the new van weighs virtually the same as it stands there as the old
van did fully laden. I don't know what the Vectra weighs in at but I
would be surprised if it was much over 1300kg kerbweight which would
mean that you are towing a van which is heavier than your car, which
is not a good idea, the recomendation is 85% of the kerbweight.
Ideally you need a vehicle with a kerbweight of 1755 kg to get within
that ratio so you are in the realms of very large vehicles.

Having said that I tow a caravan with a Max weight of 1450kg but with
a MIRO of 1100kg with a car with a kerbweight of 1486kg and it is very
stable, but the van is only loaded to about 1300kg when we travel.

(remove the spam to reply)

Old April 15th 05, 07:30 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill

In message , Simon Coombs
writes

is the car not big enough? or was the caravan not loaded well?.

Sounds like the car is way too light for the van you've got the tail
wagging dog syndrome!!

is there a website that lists cars for caravans?,
we see a lot of 4x4s towing the bigger ones which has made us think!
any advice much appreciated

Try

http://www.whattowcar.com/ or http://www.clicreports.co.uk/

Should resolve the issue for you.

Best of luck

--
Bill

Old April 18th 05, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Simon Coombs

Thanks for your advice,

I will be now changing my car for something bigger

Regards

Simon

Old April 22nd 05, 11:07 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin

Thanks for your advice,

I will be now changing my car for something bigger

Regards

Bit stuffed there if you want to stay with Vauxhall, as they dropped their
decent tow car, so looks like a 4WD or a BMW for you!

Old April 22nd 05, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Peter K L Milnes

"Martin" wrote in message
Thanks for your advice,

I will be now changing my car for something bigger

Regards

Bit stuffed there if you want to stay with Vauxhall, as they dropped their
decent tow car, so looks like a 4WD or a BMW for you!

But Volvo would be very much better than either of these, especially the 940
estate Turbodiesel version. Lot cheaper than new and does quite good mileage
even towing. The only other Volvo would be V70 D5 Mk11 or XC90 D5 manual if
going for new.

Cheers, Peter.