Blown Air Heating System

Old April 18th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stephen

Default Blown Air Heating System

Hi all. I have recently bought an Eldis Cyclone GT 5brth and was wondering
whether it would be worth spending money on it with regard to "customising
it" if that's the word... I am thinking about replacing/enhancing the carver
blown air system to include an electrical heating element and was wondering
if #1 it's worth doing and #2 if there's anything on the market that you can
simply "splice" into the air ducting... something along the lines of an
encased hairdryer element if you can imagine that. After all, why pay for
site electricity then have to use your gas for heat.

Also while I remember, is there anything on the market that will definately
remove those nasty little stains from around the cooker and fridge outlets
on the outside of the caravan. It's a really clean van except for the stains
and the sealant which I also intend to replace. My wife seems to think soda
cristals will work... any ideas?

Regards All..

Stephen

Old April 18th 05, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

My present caravan does have electric + gas convected/ducted heating. But
on a previous one I just had gas and priced up the electric unit to add
electric to the Carver. The kit its self was 75 several years ago, so I
bought a thermastat controlled portable fan heater for about 15. Later I
changed it to one of the small oil filled electric heaters.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 18th 05, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Krikey

"Stephen" wrote in message ...
Hi all. I have recently bought an Eldis Cyclone GT 5brth and was wondering
whether it would be worth spending money on it with regard to "customising
it" if that's the word... I am thinking about replacing/enhancing the carver
blown air system to include an electrical heating element and was wondering
if #1 it's worth doing and #2 if there's anything on the market that you can
simply "splice" into the air ducting... something along the lines of an
encased hairdryer element if you can imagine that. After all, why pay for
site electricity then have to use your gas for heat.

I can't help on the technical side of things but electrical elements use a lot of power - be careful you don't continuously trip-out your pitch's electric supply due to trying to draw more amps than the supply is rated to give.

Old April 18th 05, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

but electrical elements use a lot of power - be careful you don't
continuously trip-out your pitch's electric supply due to trying to draw
more amps than the supply is rated to give.

Latest heaters have two settings, 1 or 2 kw. Maximum draw is about 8amps so
should be ok on most sites. If it trips, go to the lower setting.
A fan heater can be bought for about 15, so that's a cheaper option than
buying the Carver kit.
If there's a 'Rightway' shop near you, they sell an excellent 1200 watt
halogen heater for 9.99. Three heat settings of 400 watts each, has safety
trip, gives a nice bright glow and oscillates too.
DaveK.

Old April 18th 05, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
andy

In message , davek
muttered:
A fan heater can be bought for about 15, so that's a cheaper option than
buying the Carver kit.

The carver kits are now ~125. We'd like to convert ours, but find a
cheap 10 fan heater fine (it can also blow heat onto you whilst sat in
the awning - very decadent!). The Carver kit is just a more elegant
solution, and takes up less space.

--
Andy

Old April 19th 05, 06:42 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Scott

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 16:27:06 GMT, "David"
wrote:

My present caravan does have electric + gas convected/ducted heating. But
on a previous one I just had gas and priced up the electric unit to add
electric to the Carver. The kit its self was ?75 several years ago, so I
bought a thermastat controlled portable fan heater for about ?15. Later I
changed it to one of the small oil filled electric heaters.

Which is much better IMHO. We use an 800watt one and have never had
any trouble on site blowing the trips.