Another question about radio's

Old April 18th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
duzz

Default Another question about radio's

I see on the instructions that the Omnistar aerial has a VHF
connection for radios, is it any good, and will it allow reception of
AM programs ?
If there is not a great deal of difference between that and a
dedicated car type aerial, it will save me drilling holes in the side
of the van.
Old April 18th 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"duzz" wrote in message
I see on the instructions that the Omnistar aerial has a VHF
connection for radios, is it any good, and will it allow reception of
AM programs ?
If there is not a great deal of difference between that and a
dedicated car type aerial, it will save me drilling holes in the side
of the van.

A VHF aerial is for the reception of FM stations. You might get AM stations
but would not be the best.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 18th 05, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

Most vans these days have a small retractable aerial fitted to the side of
the van. They're mostly, from what I've seen made by Ring and also have a
pre-amp built in which you have to connect to a 12 volt supply.

Old April 19th 05, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
duzz

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:05:05 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
wrote:

Most vans these days have a small retractable aerial fitted to the side of
the van. They're mostly, from what I've seen made by Ring and also have a
pre-amp built in which you have to connect to a 12 volt supply.

I suppose I will have to opt for one of those.
I have been told by SWMBO that when we head across the moat to those
foriegn parts that BBC 4 and 5 can be picked up as far away as
southern Spain on AM.

Old April 19th 05, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Paul Saunders

Don't know about that. I still seem to have problems on the continent just
about managing the world service.

Old April 20th 05, 11:28 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Christian McArdle

I have been told by SWMBO that when we head across the moat to those
foriegn parts that BBC 4 and 5 can be picked up as far away as
southern Spain on AM.

You'll need a serious aerial to do that, and favourable atmospheric
conditions.

Christian.