SUPERMULE security device - apparently the best you can get

Old August 5th 03, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Graham

Default SUPERMULE security device - apparently the best you can get

Hey - the mules a great idea. Just a pity that the 190 is soooo expensive.
I guess you have to weigh up either a stolen van or a mule fitted. I reckon
if the price dropped to about 130-140 then they would see sales rocket !.
(hint for mule manufacture !!!!!!)

El missus just nudged me and pointed somat out .....

- it can be beaten - some thieves are using trolleys to put under clamped
wheels - yanking the vans up onto trucks and away. Wonder how the mule
would stop that happening ;-O.

Debbi Dawson wrote in message
"Shaun Reynolds" wrote in message
Being a victim of two total losses of twinaxle caravans both stolen from
"highly secure" purpose built storage compounds and at this moment a

victim
of an accident where no less than TWO wheels falling off my caravan when
travelling directly after its yearly service, I would have to say be

very
sure its the lifestyle you want, because you open the doors to not only

your wallet and to the thieves but also to the service rip-off game and
ultimately your insurability if you do claim.

Had a year off from caravanning after that one but
after missing the many "Hol's" we put out the "Stiff upper lip" and with
renewed determination to not let the b*****ted's beat us we had yet

another
go.

Bloody hell Shaun - sounds like someone knew you liked twin-axels. They
make me sick. I hate to stereotype, but the chances are that these people
have never worked an honest day in their entire lives, but think they have

God-given right to just take what other people have worked damned hard

for.
Many of them think "well, they're insured" and that's that. Even if you

are
insured (and believe me, some people aren't), you will still have to pay

for
it in some way or another. *******s.

The police offered me this advice "If you don't want to be a victim then

don't
own anything desirable because if its desirable to you it is the

thieves!".

Great. And I suppose they'd say exactly the same if a colleague or family
member suffered a similar loss. Of course they would..

My nightmare is still in progress.

I'm really sorry for what has happened to you Shaun but applaud you for

not
letting the swine's beat you. I'd also like to thank you for sharing this
with us. I have been losing sleep through weighing up the pro's and con's
of buying a twin-axel as I know that I would be devastated if someone were
to pinch a caravan that we loved. Therefore we have decided (after

getting
loads of advice on here) to go for a smaller van and buy annexes for the
awning to accommodate our large-ish brood at night.

As far as security is concerned, we were taking to 74 year old Brian
yesterday from Campbell's Caravans at Kirkham and what he doesn't know

about
caravans is not worth knowing. We asked him about security and he told us
about this 'Supermule' anti-theft device which costs about 190 or so

(don't
know if fitting's extra) and makes it really difficult for thieves to move
the van in any direction. Apparently, it digs into the ground and without
the winding handle to release it, your van will go nowhere.

For more information, check out their website -
http://www.supermule.com/index2.htm

Best wishes

Debbi

Old August 5th 03, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bill Delue

The fitting instructions state you have to
drill holes in the chassis!!!!!!!
This would invalidate your chassis warrenty

Bill Delue

Old August 6th 03, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David Thornber

In article lgate.org,
Bill Delue writes
The fitting instructions state you have to
drill holes in the chassis!!!!!!!
This would invalidate your chassis warrenty

I came very close to buying an ex-display original Mule. I even paid a
deposit to our local dealer, but it turned out that they couldn't find
the keys, so they refunded my money.

I was starting to debate the sense of the Mule anyway. It may be easier
to deploy than a clamp once fitted, but the fitting itself looks like a
whole load of hassle.

I was also worried about the mode of operation. The original mule was,
IIRC, just secured to the plywood floor. This means that if it ever
deployed, it effectively jacked up the 'van by the floor - a very bad
idea indeed. From the sounds of what Bill's saying, they've addressed
this with the SuperMule, but at the expense of invalidating the chassis
warranty.

By the looks of the device, you could still slice through it with an
angle grinder, which makes it about as effective as a top-quality wheel
clamp in my book. The only reason I can see for having The Mule is if
your insurance company insists on it. I know Caravan Guard do on all
twin axle 'vans now, but that would just tempt me to shop elsewhere for
my insurance.

Speaking of which, I got my renewal through from Caravan Guard and rang
up to make my payment. When we got to the point where I told them it
was in secure storage, they insisted that they could not insure me
without the postcode of the storage site. Their loss: I rang The
Caravan Club instead, who insured me for less than half the price. The
only significant difference I can see is that the CC policy is void if
you don't take security precautions, whereas the CG one pays out but
with a severely increased excess (IIRC, around 500GBP.) This, of
course, makes CG a good insurer if you're planning to have your 'van
nicked (well I forgot to put the clamp and hitch lock on, and oops, it's
not there anymore) which might explain why their premiums are so high.

--
David Thornber

The 'nospam' address is a double-bluff, and any e-mail sent to it should
actually reach me. Failing that, send mail to 'dthornber at' instead.