Midges.

Old April 19th 05, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Default Midges.

In a thread yesterday somebody mentioned 'midges'.
Over the years if ever we get a pitch near water then I am attacked by the
bloody things and until last year could only keep them at bay by using
expensive sprays. A few years ago I tried taking Vitamin B as recommended
somewhere but this was an expensive failure. I was still attacked.
Meanwhile Madam escapes untouched. I have read that it is something about
chemicals given off by our bodies that renders us more or less tasty to
these flying biting insects but one evening in September last year on the
Costa Brava, whilst sipping a glass l'encre rouge, I had an idea. Every
evening after her pre-dinner shower Madam applies Nivea cream all over her
parts that are exposed. Thinks, perhaps midges and mosquitoes are allergic
to Nivea cream. So from the middle of September last until we left the
south on 6th October I also spread Nivea on my head, arms and legs. Well it
seemed to work. One or two of the pesky blighters still managed to find
their way up the leg of my shorts but I did consider this rough and ready
test a success, as where I applied the cream I was unbitten. (Skin felt
smooth too) :-)
Next trip I shall continue the test and could I suggest that some of you
midge victims also have a go. You never know we could be on to something.
On the other hand you may know about this already.

Regards.

Dave.

Old April 19th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 10:39:02 GMT, "Dave Dew"
wrote:

| In a thread yesterday somebody mentioned 'midges'.

Try Beatons Midge Jacket
http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1162
They *should* work.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right
Old April 19th 05, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

Old April 19th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
[...]

I'm a martyr to any biting insect, even greenfly. It's true, Spouse didn't
believe it until he saw it.

In the caravan and tent we have one of those portable insect zappers which
give a tiny "pst" every time one's frazzled. I don't like doing it but I
have to protect one of my arms which, in theory, has no resistance to
infection.

During the day I keep covered upwhen there'sany likelihood of anything
around. Horseflies are the worst :-(

They're all averse to Spouseand I promise he doesn't use Nivea. Or anything.

Mary

Regards.

Dave.

Old April 19th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

wrote:

| In a thread yesterday somebody mentioned 'midges'.

Try Beatons Midge Jacket
http://www.scottcountry.co.uk/produc...productID=1162
They *should* work.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right

Thanks Dave but my wife reckons a sack would be better on me.

Dave

Old April 19th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Dave Dew

Old April 19th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Dave Dew" wrote in message
news:gt99e.16147 --

Thanks Dave but my wife reckons a sack would be better on me.

No net which touches any part of your body will work because midges can
pierce your skin through the holes.

Also, in my experience, wearing a fine netting beekeeper's veil which is
kept away from the face by a wire ring or brimmed hat, wasn't the answer for
midges either. Small midges can get through the netting. There were some
places I wouldn't go to because I knew from experience that my face and head
would end up having more humps and bumps than English Heritage sites.

Mary

Old April 19th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 18:13:56 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

| "Dave Dew" wrote in message
| news:gt99e.16147 --
|

| Thanks Dave but my wife reckons a sack would be better on me.
|
| No net which touches any part of your body will work because midges can
| pierce your skin through the holes.
|
| Also, in my experience, wearing a fine netting beekeeper's veil which is
| kept away from the face by a wire ring or brimmed hat, wasn't the answer for
| midges either. Small midges can get through the netting. There were some
| places I wouldn't go to because I knew from experience that my face and head
| would end up having more humps and bumps than English Heritage sites.

This is a Scottish product designed for the man eaters they have up there,
not a veil designed for comparatively large bees.

--
Dave F
Howard Flight was right