vectra 04 estate 1.8 as a tow car.

Old April 20th 05, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Harris

Default vectra 04 estate 1.8 as a tow car.

Anyone have a good word about this car as a tow car? We have heard some
rather worrying things about its ability. We tow a Bailey Discovery and
have changed car recently from a mondeo. Haven't yet towed with the Vectra.
Thanks in advance John.

Old April 20th 05, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Anne

"John Harris" wrote in message
Anyone have a good word about this car as a tow car? We have heard some
rather worrying things about its ability. We tow a Bailey Discovery and have
changed car recently from a mondeo. Haven't yet towed with the Vectra.
Thanks in advance John.

You should be ok with it as long as you get your weight distribution right.
Don't put too much weight in the boot as it overhangs the rear axle by quite
a way.And make sure the van is properly loaded (but i'm sure you do that
anyway)Other than that i don't se any reason why you should have any
problems
Anne

Old April 20th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"John Harris" wrote in message
Anyone have a good word about this car as a tow car? We have heard some
rather worrying things about its ability. We tow a Bailey Discovery and
have changed car recently from a mondeo. Haven't yet towed with the
Vectra.
Thanks in advance John.

85% kerb weight is _around_ 1216kg ..... Not sure what your specific
Discovery model is but the max load (MTPLM) for the ones I found with a
quick net search were ok. The book for your particular model will give the
figure. So providing you don't exceed that figure and the MVW & GTW are all
ok the whole 'thing' should tow ok.

HTH a bit .......... Richard