Awning Problem

Old April 21st 05, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Andy Talbot

Default Awning Problem

Hi there. Our van rail is 937cm, we have seen a used awning size 950cm to
975cm. What problems would it cause to use this slighter larger awning?
TIA.

Old April 21st 05, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"Andy Talbot" wrote in message
Hi there. Our van rail is 937cm, we have seen a used awning size 950cm to
975cm. What problems would it cause to use this slighter larger awning?

Will look big, think you might have problem getting the peg rubbers out to
give tension at the 2 corners near the caravan.
Best for looks to get right size, or if you really want this one have a
piece taken out at an awning repairers.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 21st 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
DaveK

"Andy Talbot" wrote in message
Hi there. Our van rail is 937cm, we have seen a used awning size 950cm to
975cm. What problems would it cause to use this slighter larger awning?
TIA.

If that's the 'A' measurement,-ie: ground to ground, it will look a bit
baggy. If the used one stated to fit 950 to 975 has an A measurement of 967
cms you'll be trying to lose 30 cms excess (only six inches too much at each
end).
If it's a good price and it looks to big on the roof, there are repair shops
that can take some out.
It's one of my grumbles with caravan and awning manufacturers, they
obviously never talk to each other. The awning channel length should be
standardised for the length of caravan, and without streamlined front edges
that make it difficult to thread the awning through.
Plus my old concern that they shouldn't be using the body cover strip as
awning channel, should be separate and fitted to the wall below the roof.
The more pressure you put on the awning poles to make it look neat and stop
it flapping in the wind, the more it tries to pull the awning channel off
the roof.

Old April 21st 05, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning

"davek" wrote in message

"Andy Talbot" wrote in message
Hi there. Our van rail is 937cm, we have seen a used awning size 950cm

975cm. What problems would it cause to use this slighter larger awning?
TIA.

If that's the 'A' measurement,-ie: ground to ground, it will look a bit
baggy. If the used one stated to fit 950 to 975 has an A measurement of

967
cms you'll be trying to lose 30 cms excess (only six inches too much at

each
end).
If it's a good price and it looks to big on the roof, there are repair

shops
that can take some out.
It's one of my grumbles with caravan and awning manufacturers, they
obviously never talk to each other.

I wanted a leading awning manufactures product and got the size they listed
for my make of caravan, it turned out to be too large. I contacted the
awning maker and caravan maker on this . Apparently the awning makers went
to the first show of new caravans and and measured the caravan there.
Unfortunately this caravan did not have production tyres/wheels on, as they
were not yet available. Thus haveing they got the wrong measurement and it
was a whole year before they could correct thier awning size book.

Please reply to News Group.

Old April 22nd 05, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:59:47 GMT, "Andy Talbot"
wrote:

Hi there. Our van rail is 937cm, we have seen a used awning size 950cm to
975cm. What problems would it cause to use this slighter larger awning?
TIA.

It will probably be fine, my van measures 900 & I use my previous vans
awning which is 925 if anything its a better fit. You won't notice it
if its a little bigge,r the sides will just be pegged out at a
slightly wider angle .

Lenny