Edinburgh Festival

Old April 22nd 05, 07:11 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
John Bradbury

Default Edinburgh Festival

I am considering visiting the Festival this year and would be grateful
for any local; input (or from those who have done it before) for a
campsite which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and
ride as I do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.

I will need one with electricity and capable of taking a large caravan
(7 metre long and 2.25 metre wide) and is complete with showers and
toilets.
--
John Bradbury
Old April 22nd 05, 01:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

"John Bradbury" wrote in message

I am considering visiting the Festival this year and would be grateful for
any local; input (or from those who have done it before) for a campsite
which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and ride as I
do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.

I will need one with electricity and capable of taking a large caravan (7
metre long and 2.25 metre wide) and is complete with showers and toilets.

Hi,
I was at last years festival and Tattoo and stayed at Slatebarns site
which is 7 miles from city centre, there is a good bus service into
Edinburgh, but I always took my car...didn't really have a problem parking
at night...but daytime can prove a bit awkward though not impossible, plenty
of pay n display car parks.
Slate barns has all the amenities you asked for and is a well run site with
very helpful owners..there is a cl next door to site (same owners) .
The Roslin chapel (Medieval ruin) is only 200 yards from the site and is a
place of interest for anyone who has read "The Da'Vinci Code" by Dan Brown.
Bob

Old April 22nd 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob

"John Bradbury" wrote in message

I am considering visiting the Festival this year and would be grateful for
any local; input (or from those who have done it before) for a campsite
which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and ride as I
do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.

I will need one with electricity and capable of taking a large caravan (7
metre long and 2.25 metre wide) and is complete with showers and toilets.

PS.
my last post..if you wish to ask anything about the festival or
site...please do not hesitate to ask and i will try to help you out

Bob.

Old April 22nd 05, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Seafarer

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 08:11:53 +0100, John Bradbury
wrote:

I am considering visiting the Festival this year and would be grateful
for any local; input (or from those who have done it before) for a
campsite which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and
ride as I do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.

I will need one with electricity and capable of taking a large caravan
(7 metre long and 2.25 metre wide) and is complete with showers and
toilets.
--
John Bradbury

We go often and stay at North Berwick,it is a train ride in of about
half to three quarters of an hour but no hassle.I stay for the golf in
N.Berwick and don't take the car to the festival,so as to have a good
drink!..The train is the dirtiest I've ever seen but I prefer to get
away from Edinburgh, for the golf!

Old April 22nd 05, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Bob Douglas

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
snip
a campsite which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and
ride as I do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.
snip

John,
whilst I like the variety provided by non-club sites, subject to vacancies
at what is likely to be a busy time, the Caravan Club site ideally fits your
criteria (though it won't be cheap, esp. if you're not a member).
The city bus service runs regularly from the gates from early to late. If
you buy a day ticket (which, if I recall is very similar to the return fare
into town), you can travel on the buses all day, and those from a very short
walk away will take you direct to Leith for an interesting day out (and the
odd very decent pub!). Then another bus into the city.
The site is secure, and as you would expect, maintained to the highest
standards with excellent facilities (It's a bit of a 'flagship' site).
It is on the Firth of Forth, and there are some decent strolls around
(though much of the immediate surrounding isn't hugely attractive once you
get beyond the golf course heading towards Edinburgh)
We've used it several times for city visits, and with a motorhome its ideal,
since use of a vehicle is unnecessary.

Bob
--
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00
00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00

Old April 22nd 05, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
[email protected]

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 20:53:38 +0100, "Bob Douglas"
wrote:

"John Bradbury" wrote in message
.. .
snip
a campsite which is reasonably handy to the town - such as near a park and
ride as I do not fancy taking the car in at Festival time.
snip

John,

I have used the Mortonhall Caravan Site a few times and recommend it.
There is a bus service from the entrance, I thing 1(approx) for a
return into the City. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes to get to the
Centre. The Pentland Hills and the Dry Ski Slope are nearby.
I would book in advance during the Festival.
I would not consider taking a car into the town, its sheer hell.

A second site to the South is at Newtongrange, which is smaller and
near the Butterfly Glasshouses.(Real live butterflies!) This too has a
regular bus service into the City from outside the entrance.

Both sites are A1 but the Mortonhall one is my first choice. Its
minutes from the Ring Road,

1. Mortonhall Caravan Park
38 Frogston Road East,
Edinburgh EH16 6TJ