Help

Old April 22nd 05, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Stuart Adair

Default Help

Come on guys give me some inspiration.

Need somewhere to take the family on holiday in summer. Not too many people,
need wide open spaces, clean toilets and warm showers.

Any suggestions ???

Old April 22nd 05, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lee_D

"Stuart Adair" wrote in message
Come on guys give me some inspiration.

Need somewhere to take the family on holiday in summer. Not too many
people, need wide open spaces, clean toilets and warm showers.

Any suggestions ???

Iceland :0) .... ok they are warm baths but you can't have eveything.....

joking aside....

http://www.101fc.net/iceland-2004/index.htm

the link above is to a friends site who are in to ex military vehicles, most
of which are converted into expedition vehicles. A group of them recently
did Iceland so if they can do it nowt to stop a caravan... except for the
rough stuff I suppose.

Lee D

Old April 22nd 05, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Lee_D" wrote in message Come on
guys give me some inspiration.

Need somewhere to take the family on holiday in summer. Not too many
people, need wide open spaces, clean toilets and warm showers.

Any suggestions ???

Iceland :0) .... ok they are warm baths but you can't have eveything.....

In my opinion Iceland does have everything. We love it and are hoping to go
again this year - but not this time with our Viking tent and not with a
caravan either.

Last time we were there we noticed that we never saw any caravans. I know
there are some sites (I've been researching in the last week) but they
mostly cater for motorhomes. When I commented that I hadn't seen any
caravans the answer was in two words: The Wind. That explained everything.
Certainly I wouldn't have liked to risk our little lightweight ...

Then there's the terrible ferry charge.

I think we'll fly from Glasgow or, if we want a really luxurious holiday,
get the ferry from Aberdeen to Faroes and on to Iceland. Possibly taking in
Norway. I'm still investigating a flight from Orkney.

When we're there we'll stay in a B&B.

It certainly is a magical place in more ways than many.

joking aside....

http://www.101fc.net/iceland-2004/index.htm

The pictures are great and just what I'd expect.

the link above is to a friends site who are in to ex military vehicles,
most of which are converted into expedition vehicles. A group of them
recently did Iceland so if they can do it nowt to stop a caravan... except
for the rough stuff I suppose.

There's only one metalled road - the 'ring road' round Iceland - outside the
towns. Even that is rough in some parts - and the frequent earthquakes
sometimes make the road surfaces like waves on the sea. They only have an
inch or so of black top so that it's easily replaced. I've seen it. I have
pictures of the great holes which occur.

The vehicles on the site are ideal for Iceland. The 'taxis' have enormous
tyres to cope with the conditions. I saw one caravan on one picture on the
site, I saw it nowhere else. You need a 4WD vehicle and GPS (and chains for
snow are mandatory). If you can live in the back of the vehicle, as you
could in the vehicles on the site, you're laughing.

Believe me, Iceland can be windier than anything I've experienced in UK -
and I've had force 8 on the cliffs on the Antrim coast. I wouldn't take a
caravan.

Hospitality in Iceland is wonderful, it's expensive but it's expensive to
take a caravan. I recommend Iceland for a fabulous holiday, especially with
intelligent children who don't want to be tied to a tv or pc all the time.
But you do need to be aware of the frequent changes of conditions.

If you don't like the weather in Iceland just stick around for 15 minutes,
it will change.

It's a wild, windy, wet, weird country.

Mary

Lee D

Old April 22nd 05, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Lenny

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:11:30 +0000 (UTC), "Stuart Adair"
wrote:

Come on guys give me some inspiration.

Need somewhere to take the family on holiday in summer. Not too many people,
need wide open spaces, clean toilets and warm showers.

Any suggestions ???

If you are going in July & August your back lawn is your best bet.

France is great if you don't want crowds avoid the main holiday areas
between last week of July & 15th August.

Lenny

Old April 23rd 05, 07:48 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Martin Edwards

south west Ireland. We were in Tralee last august and it was great,
SSSSSOOOOOO laid back attitude to EVERYTHING. These people have snoooze
buttons on thier smoke detectors!!!

Great sites, great scenery, great main roads, they speak English (ish!!) and
they are really set up for tourism. We're going back this year. And the
ferries From Britian are nowhere NEAR as dear as Iceland!!

Old April 23rd 05, 07:50 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Mary Fisher

"Martin Edwards" wrote in message
south west Ireland. We were in Tralee last august and it was great,
SSSSSOOOOOO laid back attitude to EVERYTHING. These people have snoooze
buttons on thier smoke detectors!!!

Great sites, great scenery, great main roads, they speak English (ish!!)
and
they are really set up for tourism. We're going back this year. And the
ferries From Britian are nowhere NEAR as dear as Iceland!!

Ireland is far better than Iceland for caravanning!

Mary