query - alarms, insurance and storage

Old April 23rd 05, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
unsub2004

Default query - alarms, insurance and storage

hello all
We are in the process of insuring our brand new van. Van has quite an
expensive alarm. Planning to store in a Casro gold storage unit locally,
and put it in the drive for a few days before and after use. Van will be
hooked up to garage electrics when on the drive but storage compound has no
electrics.
Issue is the insurance - it is a condition of the insurance that alarm is on
at all times.
What worries me is how this is going to work in practical terms.
When its on my drive - hooked up to electrics no problem.
On the storage compound during the summer, - will this drain the battery?
Its probably no problem as long as we use it at least once a month, as I
would envisage battery should last that long.
During the winter there is no way the battery will last all winter so do I
keep alarm on and let battery run down - which I don't want to - or buy
another battery which I keep charged and swap them over on a regular
(monthly) basis.
Any comments

Old April 23rd 05, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Richard

"unsub2004" wrote in message
[...]

Change insurance companies ...... Richard

Old April 23rd 05, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
David @ Home

"unsub2004" wrote in message
[...]

Beleive it or not the alarm manufacturers are aware of the insurance
requirements and the possibility of the van being left all winter without
mains power. Therefore if its a proper factory fit alarm or similar it will
have its own power source, a battery inside the actual alarm system box.
This should last up to 12 months of constant monitoring, it only uses lots
of power if the alarm is triggered. There is usually a way of testing the
amount of power left in the battery using the alarm controls, so you can
check over the winter during your 'airing' visits. The batteries in the
alarms need to discharge over a long period to stop them getting a memory
problem anyway.

Cheers

Old April 24th 05, 03:19 AM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
Eric

you could fit a small solar panel, the kind that keep car batts topped up
whilst not being used. probably cost 20.00 and could be left on the inside
of the van propped or suction cupped to the window like this one.

www.ebay.co.uk
Item number: 4545155767
Item number: 4545279739

good luck

Eric

Any comments

Old April 24th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les

will the insurance co. be asking to-rag Joe if the alarm worked ??? if so,
you have the to-rag if not, then they have only your word that it was on or
not !!!!!!prob. solved ???

Old April 24th 05, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.caravanning
les